Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > PSE Wellbeing Health Safeguarding

PSE Wellbeing Health Safeguarding All matters relating to Personal, Social & Emotional issues, safeguarding and protecting, behaviour, illness, inclusion.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 10-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chloe is on a distinguished road
Toilet rolls,egg boxes.

Do you use these?Went on a course for Craft three years ago and was told it was a nono but girl doing her N.V.Q 3 has been told its all a myth?Views please.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-10-2007, 12:23 PM
noah

we use egg boxes, chances of catching anything from them is minuscule. Most are salmonella free these days which was the problem... we do check allergies and not use if an egg allergy etc... toilet rolls we use only from a known source...eg staff who know how they have been handled...but again have never had a problem with these .... if worried use kitchen rolls. but who is to say how theres are handled either.

but then you could ban all boxes from cereals too - a possible contamination with nuts, etc etc

Think myself this is one of those myths which had become a bit of folklore....

Did have a site which said it was Ok to use them in schools, and microwaving does nothing but they have removed the pages!
Unread 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

lol .. this is always good for conversation

Can anyone big or small be absolutely completely and utterly positive their loo rolls are never 'contaminated' whilst in use ??

I'n not sure what constitutes food grade packaging but would want to protect the children from contact with paper based products that havn't been ok'd as good for mouthing & handling.

Agree with Noah, kitchen rolls are a great alternative.

Could the highlight on the egg box myth have had anything to do with the HSE's August feature ? .. I'm not sure what the honest odds of catching salmonella from cardboard egg boxes is .. they weren't a craft material we really used, but .. if there was a risk of them being sucked, chewed on or if we didn't have hand washing facilities during the activity .. then I'm not sure if we'd of chanced it or not !?

'How salmonella is transmitted .... Please take a 'Rational/common sense' head through that link lol
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

busybee is on a distinguished road

In the last three years i have worked in two different nurseries, both dont allow the use of either, i remember they stopped using egg boxes at my earlier setting i think in janurary we used them before that, in my new setting the conversation only came up the other day as i noticed egg boxes in modelling box and staff said they knew they were not meant to use them but occasionaly parents brought them in so they did,
Unread 10-10-2007, 09:46 PM

cabin is on a distinguished road

I think I would use egg boxes now - although we can't as we have a 'egg allergy' child.

I'm sorry but I'd never use toilet rolls - trust me I come from a clean house- but for years we never had a loo roll holder (long story) anyway not going into detail-- but trust me- I wouldn't use them!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
Unread 10-10-2007, 09:47 PM

yyy I can post again!!!!!!!!!
Unread 10-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
yyy I can post again!!!!!!!!!
lol .. glad everything got fixed/sorted itself !!?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-10-2007, 11:38 PM

seems to have sorted it's self out, although I can only do 'quick reply' still that better than nothing! :) :)
xxx
Unread 10-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Toadess is on a distinguished road

Hello there
I was told we could use egg boxes, but we must put them in the microwave for a bit first!:reading:
Unread 10-12-2007, 07:55 PM

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

I'd never heard of this till I read this thread early today. I picked up my son from school and he came out clutching a musical instrument that he had made from an egg box!

Surely if toilet rolls are a risk then so are kitchen towel tubes. If they have been in the kitchen then changes are they've been touched by hands that have also touched eggs, perhaps raw meat, etc. After all, we use them to clean mess.

Its not something that as a parent I would worry about, you can be too careful IMO.