Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 03-09-2007, 06:56 PM
vik3000

Default Quality First Portfolio

Is anyone else here doing (or done) Quality First?

I have had mine since end of November and have just recently put pen to paper, getting some of the "easier" bit out the way. It seemed a bit daunting at first, wondering what to put and how to put it.

I am going to try for the Level 3 so fingers crossed.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Jo_B is on a distinguished road
Hi Vik

Are you doing it with NCMA?? i have looked at this and am hoping to do it

soon, i keep putting off getting in touch:blush:

How much work is involved?? and do you find it useful??

Jo
Unread 03-09-2007, 08:19 PM
vik3000

Hi Jo

Yes I am doing it through NCMA. I first got my portfolio end of November and have just recently put pen to paper - doing the Diploma has definately helped in this aspect. I know it can be done - my friend who completed hers last year got a Level 3

It certainly helps - it makes you take stock of what you are doing. Its interesting as it makes you self-evaluate and getting the feedback from the parents.
Unread 03-09-2007, 08:43 PM

oooo... you have inspired me into getting it sorted, how long do you get to complete once you recive the portfolio?? is it free??
Jo
Unread 03-09-2007, 10:06 PM

Hello

I just checked the site its £250.00 to enroll...

why is nothing free in this world :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:40 AM
vik3000

I got mine for free, I enrolled when I signed up for the Diploma (again free). There is a real drive in Darlington at the moment and a lot of the funding is coming via the EU. The downside is that its all got to be completed with a year....

hence QF completed by this Nov (although you can apply for a 6month extension in certain circumstances)
Diploma I finish in Sept
and the NVQ - literally just started 1 week ago the funding runs out end of Sept!
Mind boggling!!!! My friend wasn't eligible for the funding for the NVQ but it was on a different grant via the EU.

Might be worth asking at your local childrens centers, surestart schemes, CIS, council to see if there is any funding about, even via your minders network or last resort NCMA. If you are in Darlington, try contacting the local childrens center. Don't know if I can mention names on here of who I have found really helpful
Unread 03-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik3000 View Post
Don't know if I can mention names on here of who I have found really helpful
Wow all that sounds great ! let us know how you get on Jo !

I'd rather other peoples names weren't published in the forums unless they've given permission .. but PM is good
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I started mine in December and I'm being funded for it. Have you checked out the NCMA website? It's got some good suggestions for tricky answers - I've got lots of clues on what to put from browsing it
Sarah x
Unread 03-11-2007, 11:49 AM
vik3000

Top of the mornin' to y'all, thought I'd check in here before I settle down to do some "homework".

Not sure if you know Sarah but there is a QF forum as well, I've been lurking on there picking up some tips!!! Very handy.

Ps - Just to let you all know - I'm going to see Take That!!! yeah yeah I know sad but I've waited 15 years for this!!! The children get music lessons in Take That!

Sorry just had to add that in.......
Unread 03-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

A QF forum??? As well as the NCMA one??? OOO how exciting! How do I find that then?
Sarah x