Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 03-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

theresamccaughey is on a distinguished road
Help SOS 318 ke's

Hi was wondering if anyone was doing the optional unit 318.
I think I only have 2 more ke's to meet to complete the course.
I need help on the following
318K22 The types of support you may need to provide and how to decide when it is appropriate to provide support
318K25 Why is it important to allow children to develop in their own ways and not to show them "better" ways of doing things when they are palying, inless they ask

Bit long winded but I would be really greatful for any help... not meant to complete this course until June but I can now complete in two weeks:laughing:

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresamccaughey View Post
Hi was wondering if anyone was doing the optional unit 318.
I think I only have 2 more ke's to meet to complete the course.
I need help on the following
318K22 The types of support you may need to provide and how to decide when it is appropriate to provide support
318K25 Why is it important to allow children to develop in their own ways and not to show them "better" ways of doing things when they are palying, inless they ask

Bit long winded but I would be really greatful for any help... not meant to complete this course until June but I can now complete in two weeks:laughing:

Thanks
Types of support you may need :
area senco
salt
health visitor/community nurse etc

how to decide when is it appropriate to provide support:
Start by observing a child/children -this will give you you base layer/the child's development level and the next steps so they can progress.
If you have a concern that they are not progressing (remembering to allow them to stay in an learning area/stage as they wish) and feel they need help, first of all your Senco (with colleagues) will put Early Years action in place, observe, set an IEP with attainable targets (smart) monitor -meeting and involving parents first of course.
If it appears that the action at the setting is still not helping a child to progress, you can contact your area Senco and they will put Early Years action plus into action and support both the parentn and setting.

Other professionals may be involved at any stage of the way - it all depends on the child's needs and the concerns of adults around the child.
A parent may have a concern, a setting may not have seen anything that concerned them i.e. a child may only attend one setting, the child is young and happy to play on their own and you may not have noticed that the child had a possible hearing problem. He might be following the other children to wash his hands before snack time and his hearing problem has not surfaced at the setting.
After the parent speaks to you, you may suggest they see the health visitor. This child's needs may be helped by other professionals, whether it is outside the setting i.e. ear, nose & throat consultant (possible glue ear) or the child may just have had a heavy cold, with hearing returning a week or two later: or it may be that the child does have a problem with their ears, but the waiting list is nearly a year long, the parents decide to increase the child's attendance and you put an IEP in place to montior that child to progress and other professionals work with you and the family.

Why is it important to allow a child to develop their 'own way' when playing:

They know themselves best, so they should choose how they play with something. An adult's way is not necessary the better way - but our way.
Children will learn far more by playing and practising at their own level.
Sometimes an adult will think their child found it so easy to do a 12 piece puzzle, instead of letting a child enjoy the repetition of doing it and re-enforcing their knowledge and prefecting their skills they give them a 24 piece puzzle. What may happen? The adult has too great an expectation of the child and they no longer want to do jisaw puzzle, or they liked the other puzzle as it was Fireman Sam puzzle and interested them.

Try and read a little on the stages of children's development (Piaget, Vygotsky etc) and Schema (Piaget, Chris Athey or Cathy Nut Brown) and it'll help you with your answer. You maybe able to google some areas of the above.
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:03 AM

theresamccaughey is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much Heidi I can now complete unit 318 and I think that is me finished.
Have to complete the rest of my tech cert which I can do in a week and I can get signed off!!!!!
Unread 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

rak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresamccaughey View Post
Thank you so much Heidi I can now complete unit 318 and I think that is me finished.
Have to complete the rest of my tech cert which I can do in a week and I can get signed off!!!!!
wow well done u
Unread 07-31-2012, 03:56 PM

setdse is on a distinguished road

i read this questionas what support can you personally give! im so confussed! Theresamccaughey did this pass you on this unit?