Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 01-02-2009, 08:40 PM
wishfulsinger01

303.2,3 & 4

I dont understand:

2.make sure that your assessments are based on observational findings and other reliable information
3.use information from colleagues, families, children and other professionals to inform your assessments

1. Plan provision for individual children, based on your assessment of their developmental progress and reflection on practise,
2. Regularly review and update plans for individual children.
3.Ensure plans balance the needs of individual children and the group in settings where this is appropriate

well my setting doesn’t have this system for planning for each individual child....quite weird...so what do i write??? So confused

1. Implement plans flexibly and evaluate their effectiveness in promoting development
2. Evaluate the implementation of plans
3. Evaluate the outcomes of planning for individuals and groups, in settings where this is appropriate
4. Regularly review practice in terms of positive developmental outcomes for children

now does this mean that i have to get a witness testimony or put a copy of our short+mid+long-term planning???and evaluate it……feel like giving up!!!

can sum1 please simplify it for me.....i can write but i dont know how to start....my minds totally blank!!!

thanx for ur support everybody!!

x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-02-2009, 08:44 PM
wishfulsinger01

4got to mention that my assessor has said that we wont be getting observed on these PCs...so we have to write on these!!!!
Unread 01-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

nickelly is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I'm on this unit also and finding it quite difficult, so much to think about.
My tutor has told me not to write anything for any of the P.C's as they will all get covered in the 5 observations that i have got to do within my setting. I have got to plan, assess and then evaluate each obersevation then do an action plan of what i think went well and what went wrong and where to go from there with the children involved. Also goto do an activity plan to show how i can get the child to keep on developing at their own rate with new planned activities. The only thing i have got to actually write are the knowledge points.

So i'm no use on this one. Sorry.
Good luck tho ! xx
Unread 03-22-2009, 02:37 PM
wishfulsinger01

anyone.....there to help me please????
Unread 11-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Rasharoon

Help SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishfulsinger01 View Post
anyone.....there to help me please????
Can anyone help with this please. I realise this is an old thread but it's one I'm now on and I just don't know where to start as I need to write it all down.

Please please please can someone point me in the right direction.

Thank you.
Unread 11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

WendyW is on a distinguished road

I can't understand why you need to write so much?? My assessor doesn't want to see much writing as it is a vocational qualification and she tries to observe as much as she can.
I have just finished this unit, so I can try and help as much as I can. Which parts in particular are you struggling with? Do you produce planning or are involved in the planning where you work?
Unread 11-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Rasharoon

Hi WendyW

I'm stuck on everything that is listed above!! I'm a childminder and I mind children on a part time basis and because of their age, haven't done planning, next steps. When I say part time, I have a 20 month old for 4 hours a week and a 2 & 4 year old for two mornings a week (that's it). I keep a learning journal which consists of artwork, wow moments, observations, photos of what we've done and the parents comments regarding the journal. I've got my assessor coming out next Thursday and she wants to see written explanations on all the above.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

WendyW is on a distinguished road

Crikey that is a lot of writing!! I don't know how a childminding business works or the paperwork you have to complete, but I can try and give you advise on how to give written explanations. I found this unit really easy, but planning is something we do on a weekly basis. We are also responsible for assessing and evaluating. This unit must be so difficult for you.

2.make sure that your assessments are based on observational findings and other reliable information
This just means that you cannot assess how a child is developing in each area (CLL, CD, PSE etc), without having observed them in different ways and using different methods. So you could include written observations, photos, work products (drawings, mark making), include information that a parent may have given you too (written comments they may have made).

3.use information from colleagues, families, children and other professionals to inform your assessments
As above.

1. Plan provision for individual children, based on your assessment of their developmental progress and reflection on practise
When you have assessed a child as above, you would then have a base as to where to start and develop their skills. (This is where I would include next steps). When you know what skills they need to develop next, you know what activities to supply for them to enable them to develop these skills. So an activity or toys/games you supply for a 4 year old would not be the same for a 20 month old.

2. Regularly review and update plans for individual children.
So if you have produced next steps or a plan of each child needs to focus on, you refer back to it periodically, say when and how they have achieved the goals, and produce new 'next steps' - on ongoing process.

3.Ensure plans balance the needs of individual children and the group in settings where this is appropriate.
This means you would look at each child as an individual and produce activities for their individual stage of development, but provide activities that will stimulate children of differing abilities. ie, a mark making activity can be suitable for many differing abilities, remember mark making includes making marks in wet sand, soil, shaving foam on a table etc.

1. Implement plans flexibly and evaluate their effectiveness in promoting development

So you may plan an activity, but they have to be flexible should soemthing crop up, or children are just not interested in it. You may have planned to have outdoor play, but a child comes in with a chesty cough and their parents do not want they to play outside, you would need to find an alternative. Or it is wet outside, what would you do?

2. Evaluate the implementation of plans.
How did you implement the plans? Did you have to change anything? Did you have adequate resources, were the children ill that day?

3. Evaluate the outcomes of planning for individuals and groups, in settings where this is appropriate
Just say how each activity went - did the children enjoy it, dislike it, what did you think they achieved from it.

4. Regularly review practice in terms of positive developmental outcomes for childrenIs what you are doing with children, developing their skills? Are they achieving their goals? Are you managing their behaviour positively? Just reflect on your own practice.

Hope this has been of some use to you???
Unread 11-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

pip squeak is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone

Wendy W is on the right track here. Show your assessors your learning journeys as work product evidence using Wendy's guidance.

You will need to include in the learning journeys child observations these could be in post it note form and link to the art work/photos you have of the child. Saying what you saw the child do ... only short and brief and linked to the learning outcomes in the EYFS Practice Guidance.

Rasharoon - do you have a childminding support worker? You could call your worker to give you support, this is their job to make sure all childminders are given guidance and support to enable childminders to put EYFS into practice.
Unread 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Rasharoon

Thank you Wendy W and Pip Squeak for your replies.
Wendy W - information you have provided is fantatic and will help me loads. From what you've said, I do most of this with the mindees so hopefully won't prove too difficult. Thank you.
Pip Squeak - I don't have a childminding support worker. I live in a village where there are only 9 other childminders and we are just left to get on with it. I'm the only one doing the NVQ so I can't turn to them for advice either. We are very much on our own here.
As I've only just started this course, no doubt I will be coming back with more but thank you so much for your kind help.
x