Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road
EYFS planning Even more confused!

Thought we were going great with our planning. Colour coding our planning of toys for which area of learning they cover (we wraparound so not having to cover it as in depth as full day care) Development officer has been out today and says no need to cover each area of learning just put down which of the 5 outcomes the toys cover! And need a focused activity to move the children on which i thinking is contradicting what she said about not doing the ELG as focused activity will need to be related to ELG! Confused? i am

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-12-2009, 09:29 PM
loo-lar

We are also confused at our pre school about EYFS,,do you still plan for short, medium and long ? how often do you plan?
Unread 01-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Kathie is on a distinguished road

I plan weekly but not medium or longterm and have been told this is ok. I ask the children which topics they would like to do and responses are extremely random!!!!!!! This works really well for us and is really varied and exiting for staff and children. We don't have to stick with the same old topics and can offer a good range of learning experiences.
Unread 01-13-2009, 07:49 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

why do you need to colour code or any code them? the children dont care what they cover and presumably the staff do so why need a label? i advise one focussed and everything else free play with planning for tomorrow. works really well in the groups i work with.
focus on the way th toys are used rather than the elgs etc.
Unread 01-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

home from home is on a distinguished road
i know

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyDora View Post
Thought we were going great with our planning. Colour coding our planning of toys for which area of learning they cover (we wraparound so not having to cover it as in depth as full day care) Development officer has been out today and says no need to cover each area of learning just put down which of the 5 outcomes the toys cover! And need a focused activity to move the children on which i thinking is contradicting what she said about not doing the ELG as focused activity will need to be related to ELG! Confused? i am
you want to try being a childminder, i find it all little much, we as childminders offer a home setting if parents wanted nursery settings thats were they would send their child, on top of the eyfs system i am trying to to do my ccld l3 which is enough in its self i find the whole thing a bit much for childminders but do agree it needs doing.
Unread 01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sparky is on a distinguished road

We have split the EYFS up over the 6 terms to ensure that we cover it over the year. For instance this term we are looking at:

PSE - Behaviour and Self Control
CLL - Reading
PSRN - Numbers as Labels and for Counting
KUW - Exploration and Investigation
PD - Movement and Space
CD - Responding to experiences, expressing and communicating ideas

We then do 2 focus activities each week to cover the above. We also do incidental observations on routine activities.

We still have topics but the children inform us of what they are interested in by bringing in things.

For instance last 2 weeks we were looking at winter. Some of the things that came in gave us the following: Gloves (winter clothes sorting activity), Cuddly polar bear (arctic animals and books in the builders tray), compass (direction games, maps), farm book & tractor & trailer (what do farmers do in the winter and describe it (letters and sounds activity with farm animals)).

We have a long term plan which shows how the aspects of the EYFS that we will focus on each term. It also shows festivals that our families take part in that we will support at Playgroup. It also has visits and visitors on and when our learning journeys and reports will go out.

Hope this helps
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:23 AM
SWP

We plan a topic which cover a couple of weeks dependent on the interst that arrises and the direction it takes guided by the children. We plan activities that will move children on in CLC, PSRN and CD the children choose to access an activity in each area during the week. Child initiated play occurs around these activities. We use the EYFS Development Matters 6 areas to cover planning. After 2 inspections June 08 and Jan 09we have recieved outstanding ratings.
Unread 01-26-2009, 08:20 PM

sparky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP View Post
We plan a topic which cover a couple of weeks dependent on the interst that arrises and the direction it takes guided by the children. We plan activities that will move children on in CLC, PSRN and CD the children choose to access an activity in each area during the week. Child initiated play occurs around these activities. We use the EYFS Development Matters 6 areas to cover planning. After 2 inspections June 08 and Jan 09we have recieved outstanding ratings.
Well done!
Unread 03-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

firststepper is on a distinguished road
Default Problems with recording planning and evaluating.

Please Help is their anyone out there that can send me any blank planning sheets as we have had several new teacher advisors and they have recommended lots of different types but none seem to emcompass all, (childrens planning, adult and evaluation.) I work in a preschool dealing with 2 1/2yr 3yr and preschool sessions.
Unread 04-02-2009, 10:03 PM

Brandy is on a distinguished road

I can send you our weekly sheet but i need you to pm me your email address