Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Preschool themes and topics > Popular early years themes and children's topics of interest > Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs A favourite interest with children, enjoy these activity ideas to support preschool planning and please add on

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 04-07-2006, 11:24 PM
cinders

Where are all the ideas for dinosaurs?

Has anyone ever followed this topic??

I have - it was FANTASTIC!!!!!!

I followed it as a way to excite the difficult group of boys I had - it certainly switched them on to learning! Initially I planned to follow the theme for six weeks! but this was extentded and exteneded!! in the end i think we followed this for 18 weeks easy!!

we had great fun mastering the names of the dinosaurs!! we learn how to identify them, about what they ate, what they did....any information we could find we soaked up!

we turned our role play area into a jungle type place, and had a tray in there with a mini dinosaur world, dinosaur masks for the children to wear, books.

we bought toy dinosaurs and sorted and matched them, painted pictures of them, talked about initial sounds of their names, measured how long/tall/wide they would be, looked at the patterns of their skin.....I could go on for hours!! :rotfl:

I think the thing I enjoyed most was seeing the boys who usually ran around causing havoc, excited and keen to learn! Their enthusiasm, got me all excited (ok it doesnt take much to do that but hey! lol) and they really did lead their own learning!!! they ere going home and coming in the next day with things they had found on the internet, pictures they had drawn ect!

so......lol i'll stop rambling!

If you havent tried this theme - go for it!!!! and... if you have...would you please share your experiences!!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-12-2006, 06:15 PM
BeckieBoo

Hey this sounds fun!!!

We are doing Dinosaurs after Easter and i am hunting for as many new ideas as possible but there does not seem to be many around. struggling!!!!!

I like the idea of dinosaur masks, did you make your own or did you find them, would love to do this also, but not very creative and can't draw them. Does anyone know where i could find a templete?

Cheers
Unread 04-13-2006, 02:20 PM
cinders

hi Beckieboo!

YAY!!!!! lol dinosaurs is GREAT! try this site www.zoomdinosaurs.com hmmm there was another also, let me think.... o yes! how could i forget?? www.enchantedlearning.com

Us eyour search engine something of interest will come up! I used loads of sites when i 'did' dinosaurs - I knew NOTHING about them before that theme - now my new colleagues stand back in aw of my dinosaur knowledge! lol
GOOD LUCK!!!
Unread 04-13-2006, 02:43 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Notebook

This is a site my 6 year old has me printing bits and pieces from, the pteradon glass caddie being very cute and also easiest.

Download-A-Dinosaur

Don't forget to check out Ruthierhyme's threads in this section.