Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 09-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

mollmoo2 is on a distinguished road
Default Reflective Diary

My assessor has asked me to do a reflective diary on an activity I have done. I did all the usual - what we did, why we did it, how it went, what could go better next time etc but she wants more and is telling me to include how I risk assessed at beginning of day, discussions with parents, etc

Im really not sure exactly what I should be writing but I obviously have not doen enough. Ive googled trying to find a completed example but to no avail! Can anyone help me please?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-15-2012, 12:01 AM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

thats a diary not a reflective diary and no use in level 3 which has far higher expectations. ask her why! she will see you doing that so why write it
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

mollmoo2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
thats a diary not a reflective diary and no use in level 3 which has far higher expectations. ask her why! she will see you doing that so why write it
She says she wont ever get to see me do a risk assessment as she cant be there that early and also wont see me interact with parents - again same reasons, so it is reflective as its in the past and Im telling her what I did. Its no good me telling her I dont need to do this in level 3 if that is what she wants or I'll never pass!
Unread 09-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, try to go into as much detail as possible to explain the reasoning behind your practice, routines and actions.

Risk assessment is part of activity planning as it helps to ensure that the experiences provided are balanced. Discussing activities with colleagues, children and parents is a way to check needs, values and beliefs/what is understood.

What was the activity?
What tools or resources are being used for the whole of the activity?
Think about how far reaching it is throughout the play environment .. from the place it will be situated, what will actually happen, what items will be used, to the eg. washing of hands before & after.

Are they all safe ie: what harm could they all cause:
Risk assess ...
  • Is the place suitable for the activity to happen, is it in direct sunlight, draft, behind a door, next to a radiator
  • can the resources be eaten/ingested/inhaled
  • are they toxic, contaminate eyes, posion, would they trigger breathing problems - asthma
  • is the activity swimming/deep water - drowning
  • is allergy associated with it - peanut butter sandwich making
  • is allergy a consideration in the setting
  • can it cause an airway obstruction - choking
  • is it heavy - would it hurt if it was thrown at you
  • is it slippery if trod on
  • will anything cause a burn - glue gun, rope, carpet, sun
  • is it flammable
  • is electrical shock a possibility
  • is it irritant
  • is it sharp - will it pierce or cut skin
  • is the activity suitable: will anyone object to it, for any reason - these reasons whatever they are, are a right uncrc & human? involve culture, diet, lifestyles, belief - talk with parents, children, colleagues
If the activity returns a yes for any of the risks how do you justify still providing, supporting or promoting it?

How can you share the benefits of the activity and risk assess ahead of it taking place .. Talk with parents: show them outcomes - at all stages of the project's development and discuss the processess involved, explore how an activity supports creativity, communication, social friendships and acquisition of knowledge/learning - finding out about things, discovery and the impact of that.

Talk with colleagues - what do they think about the activity
Talk with children - can you explain what you're hoping to do, have a suggestion for and ask if it's something that will interest them - maybe a group are playing with cars and other small vehicles on the floor and would like to know wheel mark making is available with paint and paper ..

Hope this helps
the cost of ad blockers