Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 06-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Welshieschick is on a distinguished road
Sheer volume of work !!!!

I dont know if anyone else is feeling a bit swamped with the sheer amount of written work involved in the QCF level 3 CCLD diploma ! I completed the NVQ3 In Health and Social Care CYP 2 years ago and was employed in a Nursery Setting where I was then told my NVQ did not class me as a 'qualified member of staff in the environment' therefore I have had to go back to college to do the above mentioned diploma but am baffled as to how much the qualification has changed. I completed 8 units and 2 full observations and did this the same time as the CWDC Profile Workbook (as I was a Foster Carer at the time) within 6 months. However, I am going to struggle to get this done within a year and feel that there is an extortionate amount of written work compared to the NVQ....am I right in thinking that ? I have already completed 13 assignments, still have another 4 to do and thats just the Mandatory units !!! I have been told tho that the level of my work is such that all have been graded as 'distinctions' and my tutor said these would help immensely if I choose to go on and do the Foundation Degree !

Just need a boost from a fellow level 3'er and assurance that there is end in sight !!!

(other than that I may result to opening a chilled bottle of pink !! ) x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-17-2012, 05:23 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

yes and for good reason! children are the singular most important thing in our society and they deserve the very best well trained staff looking after them. When we had nvqs anyone could pass quite literally, unless you killed a child or just didn't attend ( and that was negotiable) you could qualify with a license to practice without knowing how to assess, observe, with no knowledge of child development. unable to write a report or share an assessment. it is beyond time to scrap those appalling courses and bring professional standards that mean something in the sector. Good students pass poor ones who are rubbish don't and those who need to go and improve their english etc are advised to go and do it and come back.
more testing more academic content and higher standards is exactly what chidden deserve
Unread 06-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshieschick View Post
I dont know if anyone else is feeling a bit swamped with the sheer amount of written work involved in the QCF level 3 CCLD diploma ! I completed the NVQ3 In Health and Social Care CYP 2 years ago and was employed in a Nursery Setting where I was then told my NVQ did not class me as a 'qualified member of staff in the environment' therefore I have had to go back to college to do the above mentioned diploma but am baffled as to how much the qualification has changed. I completed 8 units and 2 full observations and did this the same time as the CWDC Profile Workbook (as I was a Foster Carer at the time) within 6 months. However, I am going to struggle to get this done within a year and feel that there is an extortionate amount of written work compared to the NVQ....am I right in thinking that ? I have already completed 13 assignments, still have another 4 to do and thats just the Mandatory units !!! I have been told tho that the level of my work is such that all have been graded as 'distinctions' and my tutor said these would help immensely if I choose to go on and do the Foundation Degree !

Just need a boost from a fellow level 3'er and assurance that there is end in sight !!!
Hi
yes i agree i completed my nvq 2 years ago and about a year ago passed my level 3 it is very hard and time consuming and i think the children deserve the best just like tutu says but unfortunately we are classed as professionals but don't get a professional wage, but again i enjoy working with children so the money for me isnt important but as long as i get by and i enjoy my job then i am happy.

Lynne
Unread 06-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

joodle is on a distinguished road

i agree totally, completed my nvq 2 last year with the intention of 'topping up' to level 3 only to find this was no longer possible. told about course but not fully informed as to the huge amount of 'home study' involved. Trying to fit all the assignments etc in, as well as working full time and raising a family etc is almost impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!! many on the course with me feel the same. Keep persevering - it will be worth it in the end x x

good luck
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Feelina is on a distinguished road

Ive done more written work in the last 9 months than I did in three years of university, in fact just the work ive done in the last month word wise is more than my dissertation is. But I really do feel live ive learnt new things that will make me a better childcare practitioner in the long run and the blood sweat and tears has been worth it.
Unread 06-19-2012, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone and Tutu, I have a high level of qualifications, have spent 10 years working with children, 5 of which as a Foster Carer (2 years of which I was involved in a very high profile child protection case) and 5 running my own Parent and Toddler group before working in Childcare and have attained distinctions for every assignment I've submitted and I totally agree, children are to be cared for in the very best environments and I worked hard to gain my NVQ3 but does having the QFC level 3 make me any better to deal with the children in my care who are at the forefront of my practice every day ? Personally for me no, it wont, its a case of having to do the qualification to satisfy external sources.

My question was due to having a very good friend of mine who is an assessor for Care of the Elderly who has been telling me that the amount of work that I am completing seems to much as in her experience the assessor should be doing more during observations and as Feelina points out, there is more written work than a dissertation !

Having the years of experience that I have with children, working with some serious cases, being appointed positions of importance in the role I am in, in order to give care to not just the child but to the whole family as a holistic approach, I know only too well Tutu that children deserve the best and highest levels of care. But I'm not just someone off the street with no experience doing a level 3 and moaning about it, I've worked hard to get to where I am and was asking an honest question about the amounts of work involved.

Joodle, I am with you ! And Lynne, I too enjoy working with children, having spent the last 12 years almost doing it, and being a good parent and step-parent, its never going to be about the money ! Agree with you there Lynne !

Thanks for the replies again, onwards and upwards peeps
Unread 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi
yes same here i am a valued member of our team and been working with children for almost 20 years with enjoyment and again the same as you i have completed this course just for the heirachy people that think we should.I have been completing courses all through the 20 years of practice and even with my level 3 diploma i willo still attend courses and still am at present.
Really nice to get other peoples opinions on these sort of questions and yes i did enjoy my level 3 very time consuming but yes i did gain more knowledge and i think the children do deserve the best but again i think they were getting the best from me.

Lynne
Unread 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM

Highfive

Quite right Lynne, I think we spend our lives learning and am always attending courses to renew and refresh practice which is essential in our line of work ! Well done you for completing the level 3

Chelle