Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 08-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

bella1982 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys i am a playworker, have been for nearly 5yrs. I am currently on maternity leave but I started my nvq 3 in December (dont know if this was a good idea as i went on mat leave end of january).
I work in the baby room, I really love my job. Can be hard work at times though. x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

glasses girl is on a distinguished road

Hello there Sue
Your club OSCC must have been one of the first, like ours. We are getting too big and at the moment have 105 children on roll. Max 32 am & 40 pm. That's ok but between EYFS and the School Food Trust I'm tearing my, grey, hair out! Stop me I'm beginning to moan.
My TA school job wants us all up to speed on Thrass for when we go back and I can't get my head round it.
On top of all that just had car crash, car written off and got whiplash, hence I'm pottering on the laptop in bed and feeling v sorry for myself.
That's it, sorry to bore you all, but I feel better for it. Thanks x
Unread 08-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road

hope you feel better soon glasses girl xx
Unread 08-29-2009, 08:57 PM

kittykatty2000 is on a distinguished road

I love the holiday club, but this summer holiday it has been made harder for us coz of the EYFS, we now have to do observation/reviews on the children 5yrs and under so we can send them to their schools in september, just to let the school know what they have been doing with us. So now it is like we are do alot more paperwork then before, it sends me crazy as we're there for the kids and instead of spending all the time with the kids we have to take it in turns now to get time to do the papperwork, or do it on our breaks.
I know in normal term time we have to do the observations but the holidays should be different as they are here to not think of school and get away from it all. Never mind one more week then it back to normal school term.
Unread 08-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

suewhit is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear about your accident glasses girl hope you feel better soon.
yes our group was one of the first in our area but a bit different in size to yours. I was a TA for 10 yrs too it is hard work combining the two so I gave up the TA bit and went full time in the childcare.
the work has changed quite a bit over the years hasn't it? EYFS paperwork etc
kittykatty will the school want these obs or are you like me doing all the paper work for ourselves and ofsted because school isn't interested?
sue
Unread 08-30-2009, 10:50 AM

Possum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suewhit View Post
kittykatty will the school want these obs or are you like me doing all the paper work for ourselves and ofsted because school isn't interested?
sue

It will be interesting to see if I get any paperwork in September from the playschemes that I know some of 'my' children have been on!

Glasses girl, I hope you are all better soon. virtual hugs (gentle ones)
Unread 08-30-2009, 01:39 PM

kittykatty2000 is on a distinguished road

Glasses girl, I hope you get better soon sorry to hear about the accident.

Hey Suewhit and Possum, at the moment we are doing the paper work to send to the schools but if the schools take interest in it we will never know, I don't think any of the schools will care about what we have written. So at the moment we are only doing the ob's because we have to, if we had our way we wouldn't do it. We even have to do one for a child who is moving to Australia so whats the point of us doing one for him, he will be in a different country who do things slightly differently as I have found out off mum.

I am hoping some of the schools take the time to read what I have written and take interest in it as it would make it worth while me doing them. It been crazy as it has been busier this year then last summer, so having the paper work on top of it has been a pain. It doesn't help that my manager only just got told last week and we only have a week left to go of the holiday and some of the children have stopped coming now. This now makes it hard to remember what that child has done ahhhhh
Unread 08-30-2009, 02:50 PM

Possum is on a distinguished road

I'd keep it fairly loose then. Just note down what activities the child had access to and what the proposed outcomes were, and whether the child did the activity or not. say you can give more info if they want it - then you'll find out how interested they are!
Unread 08-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

LisaLou is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasses girl View Post
Hello Everyone,
This is the first time I've ever posted on anything, you seem such a friendly lot, I thought I'd try to join in.
Are there any playworkers out there?
hi im a play worker well a co ordinator qualified level 3 in play work!!
Unread 08-30-2009, 09:55 PM

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I'd keep it fairly loose then. Just note down what activities the child had access to and what the proposed outcomes were, and whether the child did the activity or not. say you can give more info if they want it - then you'll find out how interested they are!
when ofsted turned up we were told just take photos of the child and a quick sentence, or a stick it note of an activity the child has done......we were told 1 activity a day would cover what ofsted need......and no the school dosnt want our paperwork so i will use it to make it easier to ref eyfs for each activity for the next holiday playscheme