Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > OFSTED

OFSTED Discuss everything related to Ofsted in here ..

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

fr3ya21 is on a distinguished road
Default Ofsted!

Hi, me, my mum and my sister have all worked in early years together for a few years and are opening our own preschool in september
We think we have got everything covered but with it being a family run preschool we are wondering where we stand if ofted ask how we remain impartial if we have a complaint against a family member. We all agree that in that case the child would be the main priority and we feel strongly that we would 100% remain impartial. However without actually having a complaint and putting this in place how can we show this???? Any ideas would be fantastic thankyou

Freya

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ya21 View Post
Hi, me, my mum and my sister have all worked in early years together for a few years and are opening our own preschool in september
We think we have got everything covered but with it being a family run preschool we are wondering where we stand if ofted ask how we remain impartial if we have a complaint against a family member. We all agree that in that case the child would be the main priority and we feel strongly that we would 100% remain impartial. However without actually having a complaint and putting this in place how can we show this???? Any ideas would be fantastic thankyou

Freya
Are you going to operate as a limited company? if so, if you are going to register as a charity, you will still have trustees.
If you are going to run as a committee run Pre-school, you will have a committee and trustees.

You must put a poster/notice on your board stating something such as

'if there is any cause for complaint, please speak to the manager/supervisor, if you are still not satisfied you are able to ring ........ the Chairman of the committee, if the concern/problem is not resolved you can contact Ofsted on....

You can write this up better and write the options/contacts/telephone numbers where people can ring if there was ever a problem.

You should always have a poster/notice saying that parent/carers can contact Ofsted at any time. You can download a poster from the Ofsted website.

You should also put into place policies and procedures stating what the setting will do if there was ever a complain that was serious enough to go above a practitioner's head or whether it was a child protection issue - which may include suspension etc.
What happens if a serious allegation was made against a family member? have you thought who would handle it?
Hopefully, you will never have to do so, but as you say,you have to ensure you are taking every safety precaution you can.

Do you know of any establishments that are operating with family members nearby? (but not too close, they don't want to help you). Perhaps they would share their procedures and give you an idea how you could go about it.

I suggest you get in touch with early years in your area, they will be able to help by sending a representative out (or an business agency that is contracted to them). I'd also ring up Ofsted - they really are very helpful, will give you advice and may have downloads on their site.

Good Luck.