Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Caroline_4 is on a distinguished road
Default discrimination

What is an example of indirect discrimination in a nursery?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

christine is on a distinguished road

try the dwp. gov.uk site look for document titled office for disability issues
http://www.silkysteps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15354
you can also try this as a information site
http://www.bllaw.co.uk/PDF/healthand...are%20news.pdf
hope this helps
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, a warm welcome to silkysteps, indirect discrimination is a situation that can be deliberate or unintended and occurs when circumstances exists that unfairly affect one group of children & young people in comparrison to another.

eg.
  • A menu that caters for one type of diet excluding the possibility of children being vegetarian, vegan, meat eating ..
  • The size of doors in older buildings can prevent wheelchair access.
  • Steps and stairs cause indirect discrimination by being there.
  • Times of parent's meetings are set where no effort is made to check their convenience.
  • Job criteria where unfair expectations exclude otherwise suitable applicants from getting the job or applying for the position.
  • Venues are set where no effort is made to check how everyone can attend/get there - transport.
  • Where choice of settings to enrol children in an area is limited
Check how your setting's resources and activities are balanced ..

are painting tools available as often as crayons and pencils.
can children dress up as often as those wanting to play drums
are connecting toys eg. interlocking bricks/cogs available as often as children wanting to model make with dough or clay.
can cars be played with as easily as dolls house figures
are festivals and events celebrated equally for one faith as another
are only text based labels used in the setting discriminating against anyone whose language is not the same - tactile & verbal.

Requirements of school uniform where cultural dress codes conflict.
This is a recent example where a student's hair style choice was supported through a racial discrimination case, highlighting in essence how rulings on hair styles discriminate against all people.

If it helps more, think of your setting and ask ..
If I were a full time parent could I still take part in my child's life at nursery.
If I were a child can I access everything I want to play with - types of toys, at a height you could reach, know where they are and that you have permission to use them.
Can anyone enrol at my setting, if not why - are they too old, too young, have a disability, need to be using the toilet independantly due to setting facilities ..

Best wishes, enjoy the site xx
the cost of ad blockers