Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 03-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

eade81 is on a distinguished road
Default Safeguarding legislation unit 2.2 HELP!

Summarise current legislation and guidelines for the safeguarding, protection and welfare of children. You will need to research, to ensure, you refer to the most up to date legislation.

I have read this over and over and just when I think I have an idea of what is needed I confuse myself even more?

Any pointers or advice on what to include would be really appreciated.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-06-2016, 05:44 PM

angeleyes296 is on a distinguished road

*EDIT DO NOT PLAGIARISE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION BY COPY, PASTING and THEN SUBMITTING THE WORK AS YOUR OWN
All content on silkysteps' forums is indexed by search engines.
Copied work can be traced back. More about plagiarism
-----------------------------------------------------

EYE22-1.1 Summarise current legislation and guidelines for the safeguarding, protection and welfare of children.

Settings must have a range of policies in place which ensure the safety, security and well-being the children in their care. These will set out the responsibilities of staff and the procedures that they must follow. Policies must include sections which cover the following issues of:

● safeguarding and protecting, and procedures for reporting
● e-safety
● bullying, including cyber-bullying

All staff within the setting has a responsibility to safeguard children. They must have a practitioner who is designated to take lead responsibility for safeguarding children within each early years setting and who should liaise with local statutory children’s services agencies as appropriate. This lead should also complete child protection training. The lead known as the Designated Safeguarding lead (DSL) formally known as CPLO (Child protection liaison officer)

Settings have a responsibility to:

• Develop children’s awareness and their knowledge of what is acceptable and not acceptable behaviour, including when using the Internet
• Know, support and protect children who are identified as being at greater risk – that is, on the ‘child protection register’
• Provide training of all staff relating to Safeguarding
• Put into place policies and security systems for e-learning activities, for example, provide training for children and use filtering software
• Observe for signs that any abuse may be happening, this also includes radicalisation (The prevent duty) changes in children’s behaviour or failure to thrive, and refer any concerns to the lead designated person at their setting.
• Monitor, keep records and share relevant information with other agencies.

The Department for Education (DFE) provides guidance for local authorities including schools. Settings use this guidance to develop their own policy and procedures which must be followed. Two of these are listed below.

Working Together to Safeguard Children (2013-2015) - This is guidance which sets out the duties of organisations and how they must work together to safeguard children and young people.

What to do if you’re worried that a child is being abused (2006-2015) - This is guidance to help those working with children safeguard and promote their welfare. It also looks at the actions which all adults working with children should take if they are concerned.

Children Act 1989 - Parents and professionals must work to ensure the safety of the child. Local Authority has ‘a duty to investigate when there is a reasonable cause to suspect that a child suspect that a child is suffering or likely to suffer significant harm.

The Education Act 2002 - This sets out the responsibilities of Local Education Authorities (LEAs), Governing bodies, head teachers and all those working in schools to ensure that children are safe and free from harm.

Children Act 2004/2006 - This provides the legal framework for Every Child Matters. It includes the requirement for: Services to work more closely, forming an integrated service.

Outlined in “Working Together to Safeguard Children” (2015), the Designated Officers formally known as the Local Authority Designated Officer will be informed of all allegations against adults working with children and provides advice and guidance to Managers on the progress of cases to ensure they are resolved as quickly as possible. Information relating to allegations is collated and presented to the Lancashire Safeguarding Children Board to inform training, research, safer recruitment and awareness rising.

The Designated Officer is located within Children’s Services and should be alerted to all cases in which it is alleged that a person who works with children has:

• Behaved in a way that has harmed, or may have harmed, a child
• Possibly committed a criminal offence against children, or related to a child
• Behaved towards a child or children in a way that indicates she/he is unsuitable to work with children

The Designated Officer role applies to paid, unpaid, volunteers, casual, agency or anyone self-employed and they capture concerns, allegations or offences emanating from outside of work. The Designated Officer is involved from the initial phase of the allegation through to the conclusion of the case.

The Designated Officer will provide advice and guidance and help determine that the allegation sits within the scope of the procedures. Within the role the Designated Officer helps co-ordinate information sharing and will also monitor and track any investigation with the expectation that it is resolved as quickly as possible.

Thats what i have put for mine...Hope that helps. xx

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 03-06-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: *edit - added plagiarism notice to protect content and help readers avoid the consequences of plagiarising work
Unread 03-06-2016, 06:09 PM

Whoop whoop - yayy

Thank you so much! that has really helped. I think I spent so long reading all the different acts that I had made it seem more complicated than it needed to be.
This unit is really not on my favourite list but I'm going to give it another go now.
Thanks again xx
Unread 03-06-2016, 07:25 PM

No problem, im glad it helped xx
Unread 04-09-2016, 12:46 PM

Hi me banging my head again!
Still having a breakdown over this unit.
Have you any pointers for this question? again I think I am over thinking it all?

Analyse how current legislation and guidelines for safeguarding inform policy and procedure. You can relate this to your own settings policies and procedures. For this you will need to break the legislations and guidelines down and look at them in detail, describe how they link to and inform your policies and procedures within your work place and in general.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance x
Unread 04-10-2016, 04:50 PM

I put the above and it seamed ok hun. have you had a look at the worked based book by Penny Tassoni? xx

Page 86+ of the Early years Educator level 3 book on amazon.co.uk

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 04-11-2016 at 12:55 PM. Reason: * added book link
Unread 01-10-2020, 10:52 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Rachel-1989 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am looking for help on 1.2 identify policies and procedures relating to the safeguarding, protection and welfare of children?

I have look at this question for a day now and have no idea how to start the question or even what i am supposed to be looking at Any help would be great.

Thank you.
Unread 01-10-2020, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, a warm welcome to the site. This criteria relates specifically to the policies and procedures that your setting/workplace has in place. It requires you to identify them (can you ask your manager for copies?) so you can then read them through for the following criteria xx

If it helps page 88 of this EYE handbook is supportive reading.

All the best xx

the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-10-2020, 11:16 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Rachel-1989 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for replying. I have read the pages over and over but just cant get a grip on what i need to write. Do i need to write about all the polices and procedures in my setting?
Unread 01-10-2020, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, no you shouldn't have to write about them all only the safeguarding, child protection & welfare policies. When you say you've read the pages, do you mean in the handbook and the pages of your setting's Safeguarding policy?

If yes (and if this criteria is not one that your assessor is going to sign off when they next visit you) you might start your response with 'It is a legal requirement for Early years settings to be registered by an appropriate organisation and be regularly inspected. My setting is registered with ... (Ofsted if you're in England) and has policies and procedures in place to show how it meets the legal, regulatory requirements for the safeguarding, protection and welfare of children. My setting's Safeguarding policy is kept in .. (the offfice?) where staff members can refer to it when they need to and is discussed during staff mettings so that procedures and new information is shared with all members.

Does your Safeguarding policy and Child Protection policy say what you need to do if there are concerns about a child? eg.
  • a clear written record is made so that the concern is identified
  • that concerns are reported to a line manage, or the designated staff member who is responsible for safeguarding? Doe sthey then decide what, if any, further action will be taken?
  • Does the policy or procedure provide guidelines about how and whether to discuss concerns with the child and/or their family?
Your setting's Safeguarding policy should also say how the whole team (including students and volunteers) must work together to promote children's welfare and keep them safe, that training will be provided by the setting to ensure that everyone is kept upto date.

The Safeguarding policy should also say how each staff member is a 'suitable person' for their role in the setting, meaning they have full DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) clearance.

By including information that's in your workplace's Safeguarding policy, about protection, wellfare and keeping your children safe you'll be showing how you've identified policies and procedures.

Page 86+ of the level 3 Early Years Educator handbook

I hope this helps a little xx
the cost of ad blockers