Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 08-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

B.E.M.C.M is on a distinguished road
SOS hoping someone can help me

i am hoping someone can help me i am currently doing my last assessment in my course playwork level 4 my tutor has just sent me this as my remaining points to be completed in 3 days i am to say the least stressed out to the max looking to see if anyone could give me some help or examples to help me
A day in the life of the Playgroup

Tell me some occasions where you have seen these play types happening:
1. communication play;
2. creative play;
3. deep play;
4. dramatic play;
5. exploratory play;
6. fantasy play;
7. imaginative play;
8. locomotor play;
9. mastery play;
10. object play;
11. role play;
12. rough and tumble;
13. social play;
14. socio-dramatic play;
15. symbolic play

Now go back to the bit above and insert where you have seen these behavioural modes associated with play

1. Personally directed;
2. intrinsically motivated;
3. in secure context;
4. spontaneous;
5. goalless;
6. where the content and intent is under the control of the children and young people

Again go back up to the bit above and add in mood descriptors that you witnessed happy; independent; confident; altruistic; trusting; balanced; active or immersed; at ease

What do you think about the different play types - do you think there could be more or are there too many and some could be combined? How easy is it to spot certain ones, How to critically evaluate playwork theories and models in the light of your observations and interactions with children and young people (just a couple of sentences not an essay in itself)

Design a permanent play space that would be inclusive and enable play for disabled children That also reflects your observations, research and evaluation
Where could you get sources of information on play spaces and how children and young people may use them
How would you obtain and/or create resources needed for a range of play spaces Talk about budget, asking for donations or making things.

What are the main stages of child development and how do these affect children’s play needs and behaviours

The health and safety requirements that are relevant to play spaces and how to ensure you take account of these

Consider these basic stages and the implications these have for level of risk

Risk assessment
Describe how you do a risk v benefit assessmentWhat levels of risk are acceptable according to organisational policies and procedures

Why is it important to balance risk with the benefits of challenge and stimulation

Give me a few examples of hazards from above playtypes

Behaviour and Risk

Using your reflections of a child with behaviour issues – #
Using a permanent Playspace (outdoor area)
How did you provide a repertoire of responses to their play cues, modifying the environment and introducing new elements in a way that was sensitive to the needs of the child 4 Say they get upset about not being able to do it how do you help their confidence
How did you hold their play frames when necessary How do you dynamically (on the spot) risk assess for his particular behaviours? Pointing out to them what is dangerous and risk assess for themselves

Identify an environmental hazard when it occurs (eg it started snowing) assess the risks that these hazards pose in a way that is sensitive to the nature of the child Balance the risk of a wee drop snow with the benefits of what is happening with his play

please se if anyone could help i woulf be eternally grateful my so has been awake now for 72 hours and my brain has gone to mush

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-09-2018, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi welcome to the site. For the first section take a look at the Best Play publication, page 33+ looks at the different play types and describes what they are so you can identify activities/situations that happen within your setting.

Then take each one of the examples you identify, for example for communication play (Play using words, nuances or gestures for example mime, jokes, play acting, mickey taking, singing, debate, poetry.) maybe children were engaged in reciting a nursery rhyme? Alone, or taking turns, joining in together to enact the words of the rhyme. To fulfil the next part of the criteria, look at if the nursery rhyme was spontaneous? was there any goal to the rhyme - if it was a group activity led by an adult the goal would be to complete it? Then for the next part of the criteria, were the children content during the activity, were they happy, taking turns cooperatively?

To design a play space think about what works well in your setting. Can all children use all areas of the room - bookcases, toy boxes, easels, are tables at good heights, is there enough pace between furniture for a wheelchair? Can children come together as a pairs to communicate, small groups and for solitary activity if wanted?

Sources for information could include

Communication friendly spaces

Physical activity guidelnes on gov.uk

Level 4 Handbook on amazon.co.uk

Hope this helps a little xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 08-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

B.E.M.C.M is on a distinguished road

thank you so much for your help il have a look atr those sites now