Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 06-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
What's a cardboard box?

What have your children turned a box into ?

The thing I remember most often was them being made into boat !

For display work we once did a huge Box Pterodactyl and then suspended it from the ceiling beams!!
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-12-2006, 04:19 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
My DD used to sit in them and sing Row, Row, so that'll've been a boat then!!! Now they're cars and I turned one into a letterbox (it's a beauty and she's not allowed to touch it!!!). Cardboard boxes are so versatile!
Unread 06-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Narnia is on a distinguished road

on our very first Ofsted inspection, our children spontaneously turned a huge cardboard box into the rocket for baby bear to go to the moon (from Whatever next)..................i could have kissed them!!The inspector thought it was wonderful
Unread 07-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Muggy

Biggrin Can't go wrong with a box.

Here are two box successes we have had in the last term...

1. A MASSIVE box with smaller boxes fixed inside it - voila - a house! It took quite a few sessions to do everything. One day they painted the house, another day they decorated the interior with mini tiles and glue, snippets of wallpaper and wallpaper paste, another day they stuck down the carpet - pieces of vinyl floor cut up and carpets remnants. After that they played with it for quite a while, with plastic people and dolls house furniture.

2. During a trains topic we used a long cardboard box (from hedgetrimmers), and decorated it as a train, painting the exterior, then sticking windows, doors, wheels etc on, then drawing or sticking faces on the windows. And some cotton wool on top for the steam!

Aren't boxes GREAT! Kids adore them, and even if left exactly as they come, boxes can be ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING a child wants them to be.
:party: :disguise: :soapbox: :stirthepo :snaredrum :skateboar

What other toy can better that!?
Unread 07-09-2006, 12:36 AM
cinders

My children and I once turned some cardboard boxes into turtle shells! we crawled arouns in them for weeks!! Other favourites have been space shuttles, racing cars, a house for our nursery bear, a crocodile, a wardrobe, .... and loads more but i cant think of what they were.... something for me to think about when i go to bed tonight!
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Anj - turtle shells are a brilliant idea ! you could use them in an obstacle race ..
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 08-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Mrsb is on a distinguished road

a "pirates ship" used by the children whislt singing the pirate song.
Unread 08-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

suewhit is on a distinguished road

Narnias box make reminded me of when ofsted visited our out of school one of the little 7yr old darlings made a bomb and put it under her chair complete with wires, she did say she could dine out on that for weeks! The children enjoyed making instruments from cereal boxes and tubes and one of our pre-school children was so comfy in a large box he went to sleep. He could have been hibernating,
sue
Unread 09-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

I love this thread and OMG Suewhit that must of been a jaw dropping moment lol !!

The most popular activity for small boxes in our house at the moment ~ is watching the Gerbil chew through them .. hmmm and it saves our fingers :muted: !!
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-07-2006, 04:06 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road

my own kids have made a "squid searcher"[!] out of a boiler box complete with periscope and spy holes and entry hatch beautiflly decorated complete with comfy cushions inside,so comfy my 9 year old fell asleep inside it bless! We love boxes!