Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 04-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

angelpal is on a distinguished road
Default unit 345??????

Hi everyone have been workin on this unit a few weeks and am not gettin a lot of info for it. have bought another few books which had a little info on literacy & numeracy but not much. Is there anyone who has completed these units willing to lend me sum ideas? Would be sooooooo grateful, thanx in advance xo

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

flipper is on a distinguished road
Default 345

hi,my assessor observed me with a group of children doing group reading.i talked through the book and all children read a page,they used prediction,synthesis and segmentation with help if needed.new words were explained.give children time to answer,praise for good looking & listening.Similar lesson for my PS but children were allowed to choose a book from the library.Hope this helps.x
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

loublou is on a distinguished road
Default 345 literacy

Can someone please help me, I am on my last unit and I am stuck.

It is asking for - The nature of any special educational needs of pupils with whom you work and the implications of these for helping them to develop reading skills.

I have a reading group, but no children with special educational needs.

Can someone just point me in the right direction PLEAAAASE.
I WOULD BE SO GREATFUL.X

Loublou.
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by loublou View Post
Can someone please help me, I am on my last unit and I am stuck.

It is asking for - The nature of any special educational needs of pupils with whom you work and the implications of these for helping them to develop reading skills.

I have a reading group, but no children with special educational needs.

Can someone just point me in the right direction PLEAAAASE.
I WOULD BE SO GREATFUL.X

Loublou.
Hi,
It sounds as if you are at school with children reading?
My setting is for pre-school children, so we have no reading groups, but I have (and have had) special needs children and will see if I can help you.

If a child has special needs - they have difficulties for a variety of reasons -physically i.e. visual problems (perhaps glasses/coloured or tinted glasses wiil help) or ADHD where they don't have the concentration and maybe frustrated. If a child is unable to hold a book, you may have to use a book holder, so they can see it tilted in front of them.

They may have emtional problems - family or environment or their development stage may not match their age for whatever reason.

How are you going to help with any of these children?

With sensitivity, patience and have realistic expectations of them.

How are you gong to do that?

By only reading for short bursts - when they in a positive frame of mood - if they don't want to read, you aren't going to help them achieve the pleasure that reading can bring ( as well as knowledge).

Only providing short books and within their range of reading - which introduces perhaps only a few new words per book, to build their confidence up.

Allowing them to choose a book ( you may have particular books they have to read), but even choosing between two books may give them a feeling they are in charge of their learning.

Trying to provide books in their learning range that will interest them - they may like books with pictures in to interest them and spur them on - sometimes books with too many pages or too much writing is daunting , they don't want to start them - it's more of a chore.

Give lots of praise. When they've finished the book, talk about the story, try and get them to understand the structure and context of the story and don't rush them onto the next book, the minute they've finished reading the last word.

Allow them to go at their own pace.

Perhaps do shared reading where they read a page, you read a page, they can always read it again with you/they alternating the pages , so that they have read all the words.

Remember to always read to a child that can read - they have not turned into their own story tellers just because they've started to read.

This will remind them how lovely it is to be read to and the information that we all gain from printed matter.