Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 09-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Mouseykins is on a distinguished road
General question Activity to promote inclusion/equal ops??

Does anybody please have any activity ideas for under 2s in this area?

I've got to write one for my diploma, and then be observed during the activity. I'm really new to this! I've got a million ideas that I think will be great for older children, but I really struggle with planning things that are age-appropriate for the younger ones.

My first thoughts involved dressing up clothes, or dolls that represent different cultures, but after a look through my nursery's resources, I think I may struggle.

I obviously don't want anybody to write this for me! But if anybody has any little ideas that I can expand on, just to get me going, that would be great! I've got a mental block about it!

Thank you!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

You say the activity is for under '2s - so keep it very simple.
Children of this age love music and movement - they can make it up as they go along.

How about playing 'Happy' music from Africa, Jamaica or a country of your choice and provide floaty ribbons or scraves for them to interact and join in the music. This activity will be assessible to under '2s that are sitting down and not yet walking and also special needs children so you include everyone by treating them individually and you are also providing an activity using music from another culture.
Another time you play the music you could provide a range of musical instruments including home made ones.

If your setting doesn't have a variety of musical cds, then you'll find them on the high street, a local charity shop or amazon.
Unread 09-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, open ended resources that the hildren can come and go from are good. Maybe use the question 'what skills are needed to take part in this activity' to help evaluate how inclusive the activity is in practice.

How about a looking toys treasure basket - camera, magnifying glass, kaleidoscope, glasses, binoculars, telescope.. this activity promotes equality and inclusion where an emphasis is placed on touching, feeling the resources, listening to them and exploring using the senses other than sigh. Hats are also a nice dressing up resource.

Developing play for under 3's book search on amazon

Hth xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Mouseykins is on a distinguished road

You guys are so brilliant! I was seriously struggling to get my head around this, but now I've got a few ideas whizzing about in there. I don't know what I would have done without you! Thank you!

Last edited by Mouseykins : 09-17-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling mistake!