Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 08-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

alhudson4 is on a distinguished road
Default After School Care Club

Hey there. I'm looking to sort of reinvent my planning format in my After School Care club! I feel we may be stuck in a rut and the same activities are reappearing the planning again and again. I've asked the children for new suggestions, but they are basically, just like us staff, suggesting everything that we always do. Here is a list of activities that we currently, often do....

Talent shows
Wii competitions
Bingo
Treasure hunts
Scrapheap Challenge
Obstacle Course
Football
Basketball
Beauty salon
10 Pin Bowling
Puppet making and puppet theatre
Table tennis
Tennis
Face painting
Dance competitions
Paper maiche
Create a mask
Sports day

SO basically ALL suggestions are welcome. There are none too silly or small! Thank you.

xxxx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

It looks so comprehensive, I can't see why they are bored!

How about (unless you've thought and dismissed all this)

tie dyeing tee-shirts

pottery making with clay

making keyrings or fridge magnets with air drying clay

mosiac pattern small tile pieces making on picture frames, mirrors, boxes etc

water pistol 'fights' (in hot weather obviously)

Hopscotch giant foam tiles ( for indoors)

group skipping with some of the old tunes such as

" All she wants is gold and silver, all she wants is a nice young man, so call in..............., whilst ......... goes off to play? and.... jumps out as the other jumps in ( I think)

or

" All in together girls , never mind the weather girls" I think (if I remember) you all had to get in one by one until you couldn't get anymore children in.

Two balls against the walls, or one in a stocking whilst we girls all chanted the rhymes

Marbles

Indoor cricket or rounders with soft balls

Parachute games - older children like to play something like 'Shark attack' where they all sit with the parachute over their laps and sort of pull, push and flap, whilst one child who is the shark grabs their legs and they go under as they are now the shark and the 'old' shark takes their place sitting.

How about some of the old board games such as scrabble, chess or draughts, monopoly etc

We use to also play a game where one team had bands on the 'pirate' and the others just as they were. There use to be frantic running about for about 30 seconds and when the teacher blew the whistle the pirates were allow to jump on the wooden rungs/bars around the gym and immune from being out. Then the whistle would blow and you'd jump down and have to run around again until the whistle went again. No wonder we were all thin!

Or how about having a theme evening each week i.e. Circus, America, Flowers, Camping, Africa, etc and decide what you can do with that subject/topic or country;
so for America they could make muffins, make flags, get some line dancing music, do a bit of acting - but with America accents and sing some traditional American children's songs i.e. Jimmy Crack Corn. On top of Spaghetti, On the Sugar Topped Candy mountain. There's some good cds on amazon.

For camping you cook toast marshmallows over an outdoor fire, use torches, make a wellington boot or washbowl stand etc and sing campfire songs.

I'm not sure what age the children are, but hope something is of use.
Unread 08-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

great list

Card games - Uno & Tell me
Dice games - yatzee & boggle/boggle junior
Construction games - Jenga, kerpluck or downfall types
Small ball games - jacks, marbles as suggested , cup & cone
Bubbles + swords, nets or bats
Aluminium foil modelling
Small role play sacks - a bag of fairies, monsters, animals, pirates, dinosaurs, necklaces
Aromatic sensory play - area for spices, essences, perfumes, scents, herbs - flower press, drawstring net & cotton bags, dried, fresh, powder & various liquid forms.
Beanbag interest corner
Radio
Fruit & veg snack preparation
Take flight - paper aeroplanes, catapult or slingshot planes/gliders.
Beading - hama, paper, commercial - ceramic, glass, clay, wood, pasta with a style or theme.
Chalks and concrete
Wind - chime, mobiles and mills
Water - painting, balloons, sponges, puddles, pouring.
Fooseball, pool, air hockey tables/surfaces?

Hth xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

alhudson4 is on a distinguished road

WOW!! What a great list of suggestions. Thank you ever so much.

My children are all between 5 years old and 11 years old. Quite a wide range of children.

I'd also quite like some advice with a problem I am currently having with some children, I am having problems with children wanting to pretty much constantly play fight with the other children, lift other children up even when they havent shown an interest in playing, and general rowdiness. I'm unsure on how to approach this with the children but I'am starting to worry with the younger children starting to pick up on these traits. SO how can I deal with this?
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhudson4 View Post
WOW!! What a great list of suggestions. Thank you ever so much.

My children are all between 5 years old and 11 years old. Quite a wide range of children.

I'd also quite like some advice with a problem I am currently having with some children, I am having problems with children wanting to pretty much constantly play fight with the other children, lift other children up even when they havent shown an interest in playing, and general rowdiness. I'm unsure on how to approach this with the children but I'am starting to worry with the younger children starting to pick up on these traits. SO how can I deal with this?
Hi,
I know your children are older but I can't see why you can't start your session with everyone sitting around in a circle when everyone has arrived.

Don't use it to 'reprimand' them, but do on similar lines that a pre-school does. Whichever adult holds/conducts it ( and you could share this, use two of you if you feel you have an older child who may challenge your authority). The adult can greet them all just a simple hello and encourage them to say Hello Alison back (or whoever is doing it). Then start by saying so that everyone gets a chance you are going to go round and ask them any news they would like to share or what they would like to do. Tell them you will collect everyone's ideas and that if you don' do it this time, they'll be another time. If you have already decided what you are doing that evening say something like 'This evening/afternoon you will be making pizzas in groups of four and these are the groups/ I'd like you to listen and follow instructions etc or How do you think we are going to acheive this? These are just samples, but by gathering them together, they are bonding and also getting a bit of structure into their thoughts which will encourage them to carry them on into actions.

Once you have finished talking of the exciting bits introduce your rules such as sharing, being kind, no fighting - ask an older child how a younger child might feel if an older child (a sensible one who will be happy and confident enough to answer) was doing this even if they felt it harmless from their point of view. Then ask a younger child (equally happy) how they feel, gradually as you hold these very short 'welcome meetings' behaviour should change. Children of all ages will be mixing in a more constructive way. Add (nicely) that you do not want any unkindness or inappropriate behaviour and that if anyone finds themselves in a situation (verbal or physical) and they can not sort it out themselves ( they need to learn, but keep an on it) they must go to an adult.

If you feel that you need to sort out unwanted and inappropriate behaviour you can hold the first meeting on talking about feelings and emotions. You can talk of the adults feelings about how you want them all to enjoy themselves and be happy but you are sad and disapointed when ..... If someone says they don't want to do 'that new thing' you can explain that you need everyone together when then first arrive for registration (and mention fire drill regulations).

Remember to give praise - even to the 'cheeky' ones when they are behaving well- if needs be resort to a reward chart for good behaviour and kind deeds etc. When someone has 10 stars etc they can choose something for the group- whether this is just something simple such as if you have already oragnised a cooking evening next week you give them a list of three things you were thinking of doing i.e. pizza, cakes or biscuits. You still have control, you have chosen cooking, but that child has been given a choice and you have time to get in the ingredients/resources.

It may take a little time for everyone to get use to your new circle time, but in a year when they have got use to it, and others have joined, it is part of your routine. Try and hold it each time, use it to celbrate birthdays or something they want to share and be flexible, it there is snow outside and they can't wait to get playing in it- be flexible, but on your terms.

If everyone gets a little too rowdy at the end have a cooling down circle time and perhaps have a short singing session. Keep a few typed up favorites that children of those ages will like such as 'On top of spaghetti...' or 'I'll never go to heaven in a sardine tin, because a sardine, is just too thin.....' action songs such as the 'when I was 1,2,3, the Day I went to sea, the captain said to me......' silly songs that even boys of 1 like.

Try and keep a good varied choice of activities - but also remember the favourites. Some older children may not enjoy a board games evening, so if you have games one side offer something very different such as model making that you know will hold their interest. Boys of about 8/9 upwards often like to make those airfix planes if they have guidance. One of my sons enjoyed this ( my husband helped him at first) through that some of his friends bought kits and we use to have 4 or 5 around and after a year or so, they were able to do this more or less unsupervised and helped each other. They soon moved onto to other things, but some children like to always be contructing be it kits, lego etc. You could ask them what they think of a new idea - and ask if they have an aeroplane kit at home they'dlike to bring in and work on woth a friend.

The other activity I thought of after I replied to your last request was a weaving loom - very easy to make your own, french knitting - again nails and cotton reels, card circles to make pom pom animals etc - all quite easy to set up. Stamp collecting - if a child wants to bring their collection in, very often they always have packets to sort through and a friend can help- just a couple of trays and tweezers. If a child has a hobby, perhaps they can bring their interest in - it may give you ideas or the other children. You could incorporate this into your circle time - looking at what they bring in.

If you have a digital camera, at the end of each half term and they have been developed, offer the job of sticking the photographs in to a child/ren (with supervision if needed). Bring back scrapbooks so they can do their own learning journey through pictures/phto's etc.

Have some foam/plastic swords and allow them to only play fight when they have those in your hand and you can choose which 2/3 or 4 you wish to use them and when they come out - at the end of term/monthly? and whether they are just outdoor toys.

If you have money/resources another is indoor archery - but the childrens safer version. Think about applying for a grant and completely revamp/update your equipment and ask the children for their list - for you to go down for durability, age appropriate, suitable for premises and cost effective.

As long as you let the children know that you like and respect them, but your priority/job is that everyone is having fun, but staying safe at the same time.
Unread 10-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

Contacting similar schemes across the country and abroad to write news letters to and share with.

Karaoke competitions

Making baskets or gifts for local charitable organisations.

Making a "time capsule".

Re your "rowdy" children...... do they have opportunity to "run off steam", Could arrange mixed teams for some energetic games mixing the ages and assigning "buddies" so the older ones take care of the younger ones in their team