Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 05-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Toadess is on a distinguished road
Bumped heads etc...

Hello there..
Can anyone help me. Did i read on this site about what to do if I child bumps his/her head ?? We just inform parents and ask them to sign accident book.
I just thought I'd read somewhere that others give a little slip to parents warning them what to do with their child?? Or I could be dreaming... We give the child a sticker so parents know aswell
Would this have medical information on it for parents to follow?

thanks
toadess

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Belle

I have a tick box on my accident form to indicate whether it is a head injury. There is then a statement on the bottom saying that in the case of head injuries please seek medical attention if in the next 24hrs your child shows signs of sickness, dizziness...and oh dear i can't remeber the other symptoms! Sure someone else will let us know - if not i'll check tonight.
Unread 06-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Toadess is on a distinguished road

Thanks alot Belle,
I had read somewhere that some settings give slips of paper to parents with this information on, and what they should do if the child became dizzy, sickness etc. Thanks again
Unread 06-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Belle

Yeah - sorry I forgot to say it just says sickness/dizziness/confusion/concussion
Unread 06-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Narnia is on a distinguished road

that's a good idea..........................our accident book is double paged, so parents get a copy of the entry to take with them, but we just give them verbal advice about head injury's...i'll have to rethink this onei can see!
Unread 06-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Belle

Just doing my First Aid course and signs n symptoms of concussion are:
- Short term memory loss
- Pale, clammy skin
- Mild, general headache
Compression are:
- Flushed, dry skin
- Headache
Fracture are:
- Swelling/bruising of head, around eyes or behind ears.
Unread 08-16-2006, 02:41 PM
musicbugs

In our classes, we don't need to notify parents that a child has bumped their head as they are usually with them when it happens (thankfully it's very rare though ). I think a slip of paper that lists head injury symptoms would still be a good idea though as the symptoms often appear later when the child has returned home. (I'll get onto it right now!)

The problem we have is keeping ice/gel packs cool to apply to bumped heads as we don't have 'premises' as such and can't always get access to a fridge for storage. Instead we use 'instant' ice packs (you squeeze them to activate them and they then go cold very quickly). Ideal for us, but probably not necessary if you have access to a fridge. They are a bit pricey (best to buy in bulk) but we get ours from www.spservices.co.uk

They were reccomended to me by one our mums and have been a godsend

Last edited by musicbugs : 08-16-2006 at 02:42 PM. Reason: thumsup icon error!
Unread 08-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Patsy

You could always have a few at home and bring in daily in a cool box.keep in a cool place out of the reach of little hands.
Unread 08-16-2006, 05:36 PM
musicbugs

Hi Patsy,

we used to have those 'Mr Bump' gel packs and wrap them in ice packs, but found that they didn't stay cold enough. We have to carry so much equipment with us anyway and unload it all to and from our cars for each session and found the ice packs a bit bulky!

Its only a problem for us because we are mobile and rent various premises out during the week. Shouldn't be a problem for preschools and parents and toddler groups though, because they will have access to a fridge.

Anyway, I like squezing them and making them burst
Unread 08-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

omg .. I used my very first 'Instant' the other day when my daughter sprained her ankle ... I must say 'popping' the pack was absolutely horrible :muted: :vomit: LOL

I usually have 'Cool pack' stuff in the fridge though .. and before ~ we kept the 'chilled' parts of the first aid box in the School's fridge (until the pre school got their own!)

I bought one of these 'instants' out of plain curiosity ... & can see why they are so ideal for 'mobile' work! .. was very surprised at how cold it got though .. Ooo and must say, that they mustn't be refrozen & used !!
the cost of ad blockers