Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 01-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Magic Sue is on a distinguished road
Default using templates and colouring-in pictures

Hi is there anyone who knows if early years settings (from 3 months- to 5yrs) are allowed to include templates and pictures to cut out, colour-in, make, etc in their planning? I'm trying to find ideas to include celebrations and festivals within our planning, but am stopped :muted: most of the way due to not being allowed to include templates of any kind whatsoever since the EYFS has come in to effect!
Any ideas or facts relating to this would be so helpful to me and my setting right now, I would really appreciate any feedback.
Thanks lots Suey

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-30-2011, 05:36 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

good on your setting! there are so many ways you can support children's experiences without controlling it in this way. many on here i should imagine, thankfully templates and colouring sheets have been consigned to the bin and not before time. my question would be why do you think they need to do something on paper to learn about something so exciting! role play. modelling, stories, making books all much better ways of learning. paper products achieve nothing at this age apart from fulfilling the needs of the adult. it does of course mean we have to work a bit harder like setting up a chinese restaurant or a diwali party or making a stonehenge, but far deeper learning.
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:01 PM

Thanks for your input, you have put it into perspective for me, we do role playing alot especially putting real food in the kitchen home corner area which the kids love, we are also going to set up a 'chinese restaurant' for chinese new year!
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, it's about balance, recognising what the word template, colouring picture means and how this is understood in your setting. Play is freely chosen providing resources that reflect this and adults that know about child led & initiated activities supports everyone's development & learning.

When you find an activity that uses a template or is a colouring picture look at what attracted you to it. Was it the potential for gluing, using mark making tools, scissors, colours, shows lights, cloaks, symbols, does it invite getting out materials of a particular texture, shape, was it a postive image that you felt promotes the festival/celebration/focus? Most images or printables can be used to add paper and paperfree activities or information to areas of play. Evaluating what you come across is an excellent way to identify the resources needed to take part and to extend your own knowledge & understanding of the learning involved.

When this happens take the sheet & idea in to your group/a meeting/feedback system, explain why you like it, what relevant information you feel it contains and ask how it can be opened up, broadened to plan your setting's environment for play.

Colouring pictures are disliked by the historical way they've been presented to children, they hold as much value as they've always held, they just need to be used appropriately.

Very best wishes with the search xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Kathie is on a distinguished road

I was once asked why we were covering chinese new year, my reply was to cover the multicultural aspect in the setting, their reply was " have you any chinese children if not then why are you doing it" feedback please as we are covering it on Thursday rebels!!!!
Unread 01-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie View Post
I was once asked why we were covering chinese new year, my reply was to cover the multicultural aspect in the setting, their reply was " have you any chinese children if not then why are you doing it" feedback please as we are covering it on Thursday rebels!!!!
You should have replied that you were/are celebrating Chinese New Year for the same reason you watch tv/film, read books or do anything in life - to learn.

I lived abroad for many many years, and to learn of others cultures, festivities, celebrations etc is to get to know them better than we think we already do. Learning of others (whether they are from your own culture etc), helps us all understand each other better, respect each other and live in harmony 'side by side' the world over.

On top of that, it's actually good to share and take ideas from each others' cultures/festivals and celebrations; you may not have a child from 'certain' cultures today, but tomorrow you may have. The children you have in the setting need to learn of different cultures and ethinicity of people and accept everyone for who they are. They need to learn that they live in (the UK, in this case) is a multi-cultural county and everyone should be treated with respect and equality.

Children love learning of others around the world (as well as the UK) looking at globes, maps and photographs, crafts, artefacts, trying out food anytime of the year and joining in celebrations is a good introduction. Children are very accepting, but need good role models to keep their openess on the world.

What a shame, those that asked you this question only do such things only 'if they have to'. I really did think people (especially practitioners if they are) knew better, they seem to be stuck in 'the world is flat' syndrome.

If they are current practitioners, they need to go on a course pronto - it is unaceptable that they are even thinking this way.
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Completely agree and i think that thats half the problem, people that said this dont work directly with the children but claim to know everything!!!!! Our children relish learning about others and the different places they live, just because there are no children in the setting from other cultures doesnt mean that they arent going to be aquainted with them any where else in their lives. We will carry on doing what is best for our children whether they advise or question it because after all isnt it what the children want to learn also.
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Completely agree and i think that thats half the problem, people that said this dont work directly with the children but claim to know everything!!!!! Our children relish learning about others and the different places they live, just because there are no children in the setting from other cultures doesnt mean that they arent going to be aquainted with them any where else in their lives. We will carry on doing what is best for our children whether they advise or question it because after all isnt it what the children want to learn also.
You don't say who these people are? - whether they are parents, committee or someone else?
Whereabouts are they in the scheme of things to have any opinion/say over the curriculum you are following?

If they are parents you could highlight and laminate some of the learning areas (perhaps with pictures) and put these up on your notice board - hopefully showing them what children are getting out of attending an early years settings. There may well be still a parent or two hanging onto their parents or grandparents beliefs, and hopefully in your setting you will be showing the positivity of learning about and mixing with everyone, whoever they are.

How is your setting welcoming new families into the setting? - whoever does this needs to go through the settings policies and procedures and let them know you are an equal opportunity settings that celebrates diversity. Pointing this out to them right from the start (nicely) should let them know that you are following the EYFS (and all that goes with it) and is also a good opportunity to ask them of anything they would like clarifying and to share their own culture/beliefs etc which you explain you would like to share.

I have children/parents with different cultures/faiths that are more than happy for their children to join in with our Christian culture at Christmas, Easter, our snacks - although all settings (hopefully) eat lots of varied food from other countries and cultures, I expect the majority of our food is what 'our culture' is used to and likes and we should do likewise - whether we have or have not children from other culture/religions attending our settings.

If they really can't understand why children should learn early, point out that children learn their values, morals, principles early on in life - it's no good introducing brussel sprouts to a teenager if they've never tried them before.

If it's your committee ( and they feel they have some say in matters i.e. fundraising - so they don't want the money going towards any cultural/religious resources) have a word with your early years advisors, they may be able to help you or even attend a committee meeting.

Anyone outside the setting shouldn't be involved - but it sounds as if you are trying to do good work, with someone or others trying to unsettle your setting whilst following the EYFS.

If you can't sort it out at the setting's level - ask for help. You shouldn't have to struggle to carry on with doing your best, whilst having negativity surrounding any area of the EYFS.
Unread 02-01-2011, 07:43 PM

It was a member of the early years advisors thats what suprised me, we are guided by them and are supposed to look to them for guidance but sometimes it is right to go with your own feelings and ideas and not what the supposed advisors say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 02-02-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Hi we do have a child who's mother is chinese and her father is English, but we would've covered this anyway to promote all cultures and diversity, both the childs parents are supportive of this and have offered to bring in decorations, we also visited a local chinese supermarket, we picked up snacks, decorations, new years lucky envelopes, cards, newspapers, chopsticks and a few other things, we asked if children could bring in a toy bunny, put books and pictures supporting this celebration around the setting and our cook is cooking some chinese meals for the day, we even have some fortune cookies for the staff!

ps i agreee with what you said about the advisors, sometimes they are frustrating!!!!!

Last edited by Magic Sue : 02-02-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added another comment