Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > PSE Wellbeing Health Safeguarding

PSE Wellbeing Health Safeguarding All matters relating to Personal, Social & Emotional issues, safeguarding and protecting, behaviour, illness, inclusion.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 12-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Smile Antiseptics ..

Wipes, washes, soaps, surface cleaners ...

What are your personal views on using antiseptic products in and around work ?
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

At home I use tea tree oil quite a lot rather than 'chemical' antiseptics.
Unread 12-07-2007, 05:29 PM

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I use them because I know I have to, but my better judgement says I shouldn't...

I think we need a speck of dirt in our bodies and the antiseptic lives we are leading are contributing towards a lot of the health problems we are seeing nowadays
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road

I do use bleach on the floors and kitchen worktops although not when the children are present, I use milton antibacterial spray then because its guaranteed non toxic. I would prefer to use something more environmentally friendly, I hadn't thought of tea tree so perhaps I'll give it go. I do encourage my charges to play outdoors and get muddy/explore different kinds of messy play and then have a good clean up afterwards so that they don't lead totally sanitised lives. A nurse friend told me to stop using bleach etc altogether and just use very hot soapy water but I havent been brave enough to do this yet!
Unread 12-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

brown owl is on a distinguished road
Book Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by watgem View Post
I do use bleach on the floors and kitchen worktops although not when the children are present, I use milton antibacterial spray then because its guaranteed non toxic. I would prefer to use something more environmentally friendly, I hadn't thought of tea tree so perhaps I'll give it go. I do encourage my charges to play outdoors and get muddy/explore different kinds of messy play and then have a good clean up afterwards so that they don't lead totally sanitised lives. A nurse friend told me to stop using bleach etc altogether and just use very hot soapy water but I havent been brave enough to do this yet!
At the setting that I was in prior to this one, we were told not to use anti-bac spray as the children where becomming immune to it!! Just use hot, soapy water. At the setting that I am in now, we do use this spray to clean the table, before snack and lunch club and also to remove messy activities. We also have been told to encourage the children to join in with cleaning and to let them (with adult supervision) use this spray to spray the tables with.

brown owl
Unread 12-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

We not allowed to use bleach in our setting. We use anti bac sparay on the table before snack. Had also heard (think it was on a food hygiene course) that hot soapy water is enough to kill germs have yet to put into practice though. And would we then be in trouble for using hot water around kids in case of scaulding!
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:31 PM

cabin is on a distinguished road

I'm a hot soapy water girl ~ but I think that's smothing to do with age! Was told a a hygiene course that anti-bac only works for 15mins anyway-then all the airborne stuff lands on surface again..
xxx