Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM
hattyhar

Default A New Playwork magazine!!! Great!!!

Hi Everyone

I have recently discovered "Ip Dip" a brand new magazine/journal for designed for professionals in play.

I think it is possible to get hold of Issue 1 of Ip Dip for free, to see what you think of it. Ip Dip is published four times a year in January, April, July and September, and costs £2.40 each or annual subsciption of £4.80.

I thought the first edition was really excellent and had a wide range of articles from many different areas of playwork, I really enjoyed reading it.

You can find out more info at ip-dip.com

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

hattyhar

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-24-2008, 12:00 PM
hattyhar

Just wondered if anyone else has read Ip-Dip magazine? What did you think of it?

Has anyone come across any other magazines relating to Playwork?:reading:

I have read the "Out of School" supplement that is in Nursery World a couple of times a year, but I don't think it is possible to get it without buying Nursery World, and it is not very regular.

Common Threads - a company that offers Playwork related course and study days, also produces a playwork magazine called " Play Words" has anyone read that either?:reading:

It would be good to know what is the best magazine to buy that will cover a good range of playwork issues.

Love to hear what anyone thinks

hattyhar
Unread 01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

wow thank you for all that information, it's hard to keep track of what titles are available for overall and subject specific reading !

I tend to let online leads take me wherever in the search for good articles, bit haphazard at times but great variety !! What you've just posted will keep me busy for a while lol
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 02-05-2008, 06:40 PM
hattyhar

Hi Ruth

Glad the information on Playwork magazines was useful, maybe once you have read a few of them :reading: you could let us know what you thought and which were good.

hattyhar
Unread 02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

brown owl is on a distinguished road

Hi

I found that Nursery Education from Scholastic Magazines is an excellent resource, each month it focuses on a theme with ideas around the foundation stage and a large A2 poster and the ohter side has ideas as well. I much prefer this to Nursery World.

My boss subscribes to Creative Steps, which covers age range 0 - about 11/12.

I used to subscribe to another great magazine called Crafts for Children, it had brilliant ideas and covered age range from about 2/3 upwards. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago, it was withdrawn from publication and there hasn't been one to replace it, that I know of.

Best wishes
Brown Owl
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:44 PM
hattyhar

Thanks Brown Owl

I like the sound of the Creative Steps magazine and it sounds like a real shame that Crafts for Children is no longer published.

Nursery Education as a magazine, doesn't sound like it would focus on any issues relating to the area of playwork, as playwork is more about have fun and psycho/social issues rather than the foundation stage.

I have found that Play Words magazine and Ip-Dip are the only two I have really found the really focus on issues of Playwork, and not to do with education & learning.

Playwork is a fast growing profession and the issues involved and ethos behind it are so different to those or nursery work and education. It would be good if more was provided for this area.

Thanks for your suggestions

hattyhar