Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 05-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

batonstar is on a distinguished road
Default Which is the best way to do a Child care Level 3 course

I am currently studying the level 2 CACHE Child care and education at college and I am looking to follow it up with a level 3 course.

I have found 2 options at the moment:

1 CACHE child care and education level 3 (college & placement based)
2 City and Guilds Child care level 3 (work based, which I am told is probably related to CWDC)

What I want to know is, does anyone know which of these courses would be best, for number 2 I have to secure a place of work before I could start, which wouldn't be too much of a problem.
I can only really go on what I know or have been told so far, so any ideas would be appreciated.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

derynjoe is on a distinguished road

I would give the CWDC a ring, I have spoke to them before and they were helpful.

I am sure I have read that the aim is to streamline qualifications so there arn't so many of them to make it less confusing for the likes of employers, so some qualifications have or are being phased out.

Im sure they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:58 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i would aways recommend going to college. work based courses mean you only learner the practice going on around you and i always tell my learners they learn so much more from each other than anything else. DO NOT do any other course other than the new diploma, the old CCE is way outdated all employers are looking for the new diploma it is so much more rigorous very similar to the old nneb.
Unread 05-07-2011, 03:08 PM

I'm glad you have said that tutu, some practioners think that the old NNEB is far superior to anything else, which sometimes knocks me down and makes feel rubbish!

Thanks
Unread 05-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Alison Day is on a distinguished road

I have it the other way round, I hold the old NNEB which my collegues dont seem to recognise and am currently studing for the new diploma.
Unread 05-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Day View Post
I have it the other way round, I hold the old NNEB which my collegues dont seem to recognise and am currently studing for the new diploma.
Hi
I personally think that if you have an NNEB qualification and have been working with children and attending new courses when available , then i think all the qualifications should stand and lets be honest more or less every qualifiication are very similar. I don't think anyone should have their qualification taken away from them lets be honest how would you feel in a few years time if they decided to bring in a new qualification and knowing how hard you have worked to complete this course. I was going to start a nvq course last year and i waited another year because of the new diploma coming in to place this year. Think it's a shame that qualifications are taken away from hard working people.
SORRI about the moan i feel quite strongly about all the hard work people have achieved and now they are saying that they prefer staff with a new qualification what happened to experience being important.
Lynne
Unread 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM

Alison how are you finding it compared to the NNEB, when my colleagues talk about it, they make it sound like the NNEB gave you so much more knowledge, which is understandable to a certain degree because of the different placements.

It must be frustrating for you!
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:28 PM

WittyGem is on a distinguished road

I was advised recently that NVQ Level 3 Early Years is not going to be running after this year!
Unread 05-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Alison Day is on a distinguished road

To Lynnne and derynjoe

Thank u for your comments. Yes Lynne I agree with your comments, I have worked in Early years for nearly twenty years in various settings and have kept up with the changes and attended courses. I have been in my present post for just over a year and they wanted me to update my qualification. My course provider also advised me to update as they said that at some point all practitioners would have to hold the new diploma! Not sure if thats is right but im doing it anyway!

Derynjoe - im finding the diploma ok so far havent found anything that ive struggled with yet! The hardest part for me is finding the time! Im doing the course homebased with little support. I work full time and have a young family to care for so finding time is the hardest part for me! and yes it is very frustrating that my NNEB and experience is not being recognised or used!!

xx
Unread 05-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi
my two managers/owners have an NNEB qualification and they have more knowledge and experience than me, i also look up to them, and if i am stuck they help me so it is obvious to me that yes they have an old qualification but when working with children for well over twenty years that experience is very important. we recently had an OFSTED inspection and everything was great and they were passed by OFSTED so who is actually saying that the qualification needs up dating! probably people that have never worked with children and sit in an office putting together these redicioulous ideas.
They need to speak to staff from settings and then they will get a true and accurate opinion of this.Sorri not against people getting qualifications but just get annoyed when qualifications are taken away.
I have a daughter that has qualified to level 5 and at the moment is just over half way through completing her BA and EYPS (early years proffesional status) but this is her choice and a good choice but she isn't being forced because she has to update her qualification

Lynne

Last edited by lyn c : 05-07-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added more info