Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 12-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
New term's Theme

Is there any particular overhead theme that you'll be travelling along next term ?

Will the Christmas holidays influence what planning you do for the children's activities ?
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road

I have a new baby starting in Feb so we will be exploring the baby theme and see where it takes us! Also making welcome cards for the baby, baby animals, what the children were like when they were babies etc. I think we will be finished with Christmas by then but if the children want to continue it then we will-I'm guided by their interests!
Unread 12-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I usually dabble with Australia day early in January - takes our minds off the cold weather. We do lots of barbecue stuff and talk about being warm again! This usually leads onto some stuff about going on holiday, but it really is up to the children.

Good luck with the new baby Watgem - I've just taken on a 7 month old and he's a screamer. 2 days a week, I listen to a baby scream... unless he's velcroed to me or moving in the buggy, he screams and screams and screams. He's such a sweetie when he smiles!

Sarahx
Unread 12-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

We've stopped using themes - although we do use festivals/events etc as starting points. We're trying to follow children's interests........ but some of the staff seem to find it very hard!!!!!!!!!! - never mind training day monday!

xxx
Unread 12-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

lol .. it can be hard, I'm still getting used to following leads for the business & combining a 'todo list and Themed plan of work

Must admit to of enjoyed a themed topic in Preschool, we used to learn lots researching & looking up things beforehand ... although having experienced another way of life can now also see why exploring avenues as they present themselves is also really good... all my paperwork nowadays (Silkysteps's !!) seems to begin & end with the largest default section titled 'what happened/shall 'we do instead' lol
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 12-16-2007, 10:24 AM

watgem is on a distinguished road

Oh Sarah! Poor babe and poor yopu, hopefully he will start to feel more settled soon! I'm visiting new babe every week, cuddling him etc and am trying to persuade mum to let me feed him a few times before he starts, but he'll be 9 months so it'll be hard for mum and him I should think. I love the sound of your Australian day theme. Introducing the "theme" of babies is just to get the other children used to the idea of babies and their paraphanalia etc before he starts so its not too much of a shock, I am guided by the childrens interests so lots of retrospective planning now and doing things spontaneously which is quite freeing really.
Unread 11-07-2008, 12:40 AM

m1sspr0ject is on a distinguished road

lveo the idea of australian day gonna look that one up for sure.