Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 11-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Fifitrix is on a distinguished road
304..aagghh! Am I on the right track

Hi everybody, I am new to this forum but I have been looking at some of the threads people have posted and there is some good advice out there!
Just had my folder back from my 1st observation and it looks as though I have hardly anything ticked off so it's knocked me back a little.
Next unit to cover is 304 and everytime I look at it I get a mental block
I am thinking of using my work with a child who has English as additional language. I write in my journel each day of the work I do with this child in either class and also on one to one interaction. I try to write a reflection paragraph at the end to say what I would do differently or change to improve upon next time. Would this journel answer how I monitor processes, practices etc? and as I am trying to introduce new language to him such as texture words would this answer reflection to solve problems? I am hoping really I could use my journel entries to anser all the PC's in 304.1. Do you think I am on the right track anybody?Fifitrix

Last edited by Fifitrix : 11-15-2009 at 10:59 AM.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

clairey_2602 is on a distinguished road

well im doing it in scotland, so SVQ numbering - but if 303 is the same down there, its reflecting on ur practise?? which i used one to ones and meetings for - normal routines etc.
Unread 11-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Please please can anybody help with this? Am I on the right track?
K3P222 - wrote about refelection is important as helps you evaluate your own work and interactions - have said about helps identift achievements but also areas of improvement also put example of simple gestures such as smile/hello to parents will promote stronger relationships there4fore parents more likely to provide info about child?
K3D225 - techniques for refective analysis - used example of work doing with child with EAL - described week long activity to introduce certain new vocabulary - what I did how I did it, I wrote a relective paragraph in my journel each day thinking how it went what I could do to improve and build activity - at end spoke to SEN teacher wand shared my reflections and asked her if I had used right strategies to carry out activity also what I wanted to work on next - she then gave me some resource to do this with - would this count as synthesising ideas?
K3D223 - also want to use same scenario- wrote constantly reflecting on my approach and interactions with child and how I have sent and received info from DCSF on EAL to increase my professional knowledge?
PLease can someone tell me if I am on the right track - feel as though I'm going roound in circles and is getting me down
CLAIRE XX
Unread 11-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

pip squeak is on a distinguished road

Yes you are on the right track. Using examples through reflective diary should provide you with excellent working practice evidence.
To show a variety of evidence, for this unit, you can also use your own training & development records. As long as you have reflected on the training and said what you took away with you, from the course, and how you used information from the training in your work. If you have not reflected on your training ... write up a reflective a/c relating to a specific training you have attended.

Have a look at the forum EY downloadable resources, on this site .. very useful info here. Click forum button at left hand side - top of this page.

Don't worry too much about 1st obs and not much covered, I am sure your assessor picked up other evidence which you can use later to other units.

Assessors need to see consistency of practice, therefore need more than one observation, not the same one each time. After the next observation I am sure you will start seeing more ticked off.

Keep that journal going - as long as you are evaluating this will give you excellent evidence across your award
Unread 11-29-2009, 04:34 PM

Hi pip squeak
Thankyou sooo much for the reply ..it's good to hear I'm on the right track. Thsnks for advice will check out the info.
I haven't had an appraisal yet - this won't be until Feb. I did ask my supervisor if I could have an informal appraisal and to discuss strenghts and weaknesses but she didn't seem to keen. Tutor has suggested drafting a questionnaire to give to staff I work with to see if I can get some pointers on strenghts and weaknesses. Do you think this would be OK? I though about including questions about my interaction with children, how I approach unwanted behaviour, communication with staff, do carry out specific duties I have been asked to do? This type of thing - what do you think?
Any help I'd appreciate
Claire xx
Unread 11-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

pip squeak is on a distinguished road

yes .... you could do it that way but do you think you will get honest answers? Are you and your colleagues use to doing peer on peer reports? Always a difficult one as people find it difficult to comment on another member of staff in this way.

Other options:

If you are regularly writing up a reflective diary would it be possible to include your suggestions in there and ask a witness to comment that you did what you said you did. That would be a less direct approach. Check out with your tutor the way they use witnesses - different training providers do this in different ways.

When carrying out child observations do you reflect on your own practice - changes you would make to what you do? If you do this also would be evidence for this unit.

Aprraisals - suggested evidence for this unit - not a must
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

karen08 is on a distinguished road

hi im also on the unit 304 only just got it so if any one has any tips thank you x