Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 06-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

joshie is on a distinguished road
Default Any childminders doing the foundation degree?

Just wondered if there were any childminders doing foundation degree. Was going to go for it myself this year, but its been such a manic year so far that there was just no way i could commit to it.

If there are, how do you find it? Are you managing to juggle it all ok?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-27-2010, 06:04 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i have 8 childminders doing the FD though 5 work part time and have a "college day". 7 are doing it with the OU the other one at the local college. i have to say that of all my FDers they are finding the hardest as they work alone and a lot of the work requires a group approach even for the planned activities one has to implement but they re persevering. they are not under any circumstances finding it easy apart from one who has an assistant and finishes at 3.30!!! have to say though they are an exceptional group and all did their level 3s a long time ago and have continued to study. apart from 2 who had a degree pre marriage and CMing they all did an academic writing course first last year which has made a huge difference. there is no room to fail and getting the study skills right before you enrol is crucial you cannot learn them on the job. unless you have a burning desire leave it till you are less manic.
Unread 07-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I did the Level 4 with the OU a few years ago.

It was hard work but somehow (if you want something done ask a busy woman) I got it finished.

I was thinking about progressing to a full degree but I promised myself many years ago I would never put myself through the trauma of exams again and the full OU degree has at least one part that is examined.

Are you thinking about doing it in the future Joshie?
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road

I started doing last september, it is by no means easy and some of the modules are difficult when you work alone but there are ways around it, for example there are 3 childminders on our course so we get together with our mindees when there needs to be a group situation. However childminders are in a unique position in that we are our own bosses and managers of our settings so know our policies and procedures inside out and have excellent relations(usually!) with our parents and children which does make some of the modules easier for us to complete. I am lucky in that one of the preschools my mindees attend is very supportive and willing to help, so it helps to let others know what you're doing and why. Its definitely best to embark on this when things aren't too manic, however life happens, so you just have to work round it! Luckily we do not have exams on our course, and being able to network with practitioners from other settings on a weekly basis has been beneficial, so yes childminders can do it