Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD

Training, Qualifications & CPD These forums contain details on different courses, ideas and links to help with opportunities in many aspects of continuing own and groups's personal development. If you have any questions or can help with information relating to training & further education .. firstly thankyou and please feel free to use these forums .. NB: All Silkysteps forums are public - Please post responsibly and professionally & always get in touch if needed ..

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Jo_B is on a distinguished road
Makaton Training

Hello

Im really interested in getting to know more about makaton,

Does anyone know of any courses available.

Has anyone used it?? and how effective do they find it??

Jo

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

bettyboo is on a distinguished road

Hi Jo

I did Makaton training a few years ago, as we had a child who used it. The only thing I would say is it is something that you have to use or lose.
I had a conversation recently with our inclusion officer as I had seen the news saying that settings were using Makaton with all the children. A few years ago there was some discussion as to whether using Makaton delayed a child's speech. the research now seems to point the other way and we are encouraged to use Makaton with children with speech and language disorders.
check out the Makaton website www.makaton.org they maybe able to advise you re courses
Or speak to your local EYDCP who may also be able to help
good luck
BB
Unread 04-01-2007, 08:10 PM
noah

Our training comes via early years dept, in conjunction with the local preschool fro children with special needs who run the training , used to have to pay but these days comes from transformation fund...

we had a basic session run in house and found that we knew a lot more than we expected to having had several children who use this in the group over the last 5 years...we use it for most songs and rhymes all the time and at various other times during the day. Find it useful for all children who enjoy using the signs. Plan to have more extensive in house training when we can fit it in.
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Jo_B is on a distinguished road

Thanks

I will go and have a scout on the site.

I have a friend who uses it at home with her son who has special needs, i

would love to be able to use it too

Jo
Unread 04-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboo View Post
Hi Jo

I did Makaton training a few years ago, as we had a child who used it. The only thing I would say is it is something that you have to use or lose.
I had a conversation recently with our inclusion officer as I had seen the news saying that settings were using Makaton with all the children. A few years ago there was some discussion as to whether using Makaton delayed a child's speech. the research now seems to point the other way and we are encouraged to use Makaton with children with speech and language disorders.
check out the Makaton website www.makaton.org they maybe able to advise you re courses
Or speak to your local EYDCP who may also be able to help
good luck
BB
Acredola and Goodwin have carried out extensive research into this, the resukts were very positive, more info here.

Some more info here
about the work of Joseph Garica and Marilyn Daniels.

I've been considering doing some Makaton training too, I've BSL qulaifications and know many of the Makaton signs but would like a certificate:jump: :laughing: for the Makaton.
Unread 04-20-2007, 01:32 PM
littlesheep

I did a course organised by the local parent partnership service and there were all sorts of different people on it - parents / interested individuals / teaching assistants / school dentists etc. It was done by a local speech and language therapist so they might be able to help too? I think that Makaton arrange courses directly too so try their website