Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 07-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Jess149 is on a distinguished road
Default Help! Summer Holiday work problem!!

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in but not really sure where my problem would fit in.

Basically I work in a nursery setting and one of the parents has asked if I'd be willing to look after their children during the summer holidays on the odd day each week. As its my own time, I didn't think it would be a problem but my boss has made a big issue about it. She said that I'm putting myself in a vulnerable position but she was happy for me to babysit for a parent recently.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else been in a similar position?

Many thanks!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:24 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

most good nurseries have a no babysitting policy. maybe she is talking about in your own home? which of course would be illegal or if in there home then it may well compromise you back in the nursery hence the policy.

if you are going to then make sure you have a written and clear contract even for temp work which makes it clear that confidentiality is expected on both sides. personally i would advise my staff not to as we have a no sitting policy to protect them and the children.
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Jess149 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply.

We don't have a no babysitting policy and my boss has actually suggested to parents that I babysit for them in the past which is why I'm a little confused.
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Duckling ~~ dipping in to help out ~~

misssparkles is on a distinguished road

Hi, in my setting we have a no baby sitting policy, and in a previous setting I worked in there was no such policy, so staff often babysat for parents. This came with no end of problems as for one member of staff it blurred the professional boundaries, and they ended up getting in a heap of trouble. I'm personally not a fan of baby sitting, but understand that people do do it, and would urge you to sit down and talk to your manager , as if it then affects your working relationships then it really isn't worth it. My guess is that your manager sounds as though she is fine with one-off circumstances, but is probably worried of the implications of longer term baby sitting. As tutu said, I would ensure I had a written contract in place, this protects both you and the parent. make sure you don't discuss any setting related information outside of the work place, be discreet about it- as this could worry some other parents, and gain permission from your manager.