Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 06-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

rebeccam is on a distinguished road
Default nutritional requirements for 5-7 year olds EYE 11 3.4 early years eductor

can anyone help me please, my mind seems to have gone blank and i have no idea where to start. my question it-
EYE11-3.4 Discuss the nutritional requirements of children aged:
• 1-2 years
• 2-3 years
• 3-5 years
• 5-7 years

Thank you in advance :)

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi a very warm welcome to the site.

In order to discuss these age groups and the nutritional requirements you'll need to research them xx

Do you have access to a learner handbook?

page 10 of this EYE level 3 book helps to explain

Other details can be found in the dietary guidance issued by your home nation (depending on whether you work in England, NI, Scotland or Wales)

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 06-19-2016, 06:14 PM

rebeccam is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much, I think i need to purchase this book :)
Unread 06-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Contributor

alaska1983nicky is on a distinguished road

hi,

I wrote this and got signed off

hope it helps xx

A.C 3.4
Estimated average requirements for calorie intake

Age . . . . . . . . . Male . . . . Female
-------------- (mj) (kcal) - (mj) (kcal)
0 - 3 months - 2.28 (545) - 2.16 (515)
4 - 6 months - 2.89 (690) - 2.69 (645)
7 - 9 months - 3.44 (825) - 3.20 (765)
10 - 12 mths - 3.85 (920) - 3.61 (865)
1 - 3 years --- 5.15 (1230)- 4.86 (1165)
4 - 6 years --- 7.16 (1715)- 6.46 (1545)

Between 12 and 24 months old toddlers are becoming more independent and able to express their personality. A healthy, balanced diet supports this development and provides the nutrients they need to learn and grow.

Improved motor skills and stronger muscles mean they are becoming more mobile by the day, cruising and walking more confidently, and gaining the coordination required for running and jumping. Their bones are developing rapidly too, and a constant process of bone renewal helps each bone strengthen and grow.

A healthy, balanced diet is necessary to provide the toddler with the right balance of nutrients they need for optimal development. Two vital vitamins for this stage are iron and vitamin D.

Iron plays an important role in many functions of the body and is a key nutrient for healthy brain development. Good sources include meat, oily fish and eggs, as well as plant sources such as beans and green, leafy vegetables. Meat and fish contain haem iron – a type of iron that is more easily used and absorbed compared to the non-haem iron found in plant sources. Including even small amounts of meat and fish in your toddler's diet will enhance the absorption of iron from other sources.

Due to the temperamental tendencies of toddlers, as well as fussy eating phases and their small appetites, many toddlers don’t get enough iron in their diets. Over 50% of toddlers aged between 18 months and 3 years aren’t getting the recommended daily amount, so every parent needs to be aware of this vital nutrient. The situation can be made worse if toddlers fill up on foods with low iron content, including cows’ milk.

To increase a child’s intake, the parent must try to offer at least one iron-rich food every day. Pairing it with vegetables or a piece of vitamin C-rich fruit will help your toddler’s body absorb it more effectively. Follow-on formulas and growing up milks are fortified with iron and can be used if you are concerned about a child’s iron intake3. Aptamil, Cow and Gate and SMA all offer Growing Up milks which are enriched with iron to support a toddler’s healthy development as they grow.

As your child reaches school age he or she will be growing quickly and becoming more active. Children’s diets from the age of 5 should be based on the principles of the eat well plate and include plenty of starchy carbohydrates, fruit and vegetables, and some protein and dairy foods. Children may start to take more control over their food choices around this time, especially if they eat school meals.
Children should eat at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day. One portion is often referred to as the amount they can fit into the palm of their hand. One small glass (150ml) of unsweetened 100% fruit juice can count towards one portion, but only one glass counts, so further glasses of juice won't count towards the total five portions a day.

The daily maximum amount of salt your child should be eating varies with age:

• 4 to 6 years - 3g salt a day (1.2g sodium)
• 7 to 10 years - 5g salt a day (2.0g sodium)

Salt should not be added to any child’s food intake, as a lot of foods already have it in, is. pasta sauces etc.
If a child does not eat much meat or a parent chooses to give a child a vegetarian or vegan diet, it is important to make sure that the diet is varied so that he or she gets all the nutrients for growth and general health.
Energy - Particularly for children on a vegan diet, foods that are nutrient dense may be needed to give them enough energy, protein, vitamins and minerals. Try avocados, tofu, bananas and nut and seed butters (such as tahini and cashew or peanut butter). For extra energy, you could add vegetable oils or vegan fat spreads to foods.

Protein - Good choices of protein include lentils, beans, soya and soya products, milk, cheese, nuts and eggs and they’ll need 2 to 3 portions of these a day.

Iron - Meat is a good provider of easily absorbable iron so you will need to offer alternative sources to ensure your growing child gets enough. Foods that provide iron include wholegrain cereals, dark green leafy vegetables, beans, lentils, bread, fortified breakfast cereals, dried apricots and figs. Remember vitamin C helps our body to absorb iron from non-meat sources so try to include fruit and vegetables at every meal time.

Calcium – Need to be careful that vegan children get enough calcium to support their growing bones and teeth. Milk, cheese, yogurt, tofu, some dark green leafy vegetables such as kale all provide calcium. Fortified soya drinks, as well as other dairy alternatives, often have added calcium but remember to check the label.

Vitamin B12 - Vitamin B12 is typically found in products from animal sources. Milk and eggs are important sources of vitamin B12 for vegetarians. For vegans, who eliminate animal products, useful dietary sources include fortified foods such as some fortified breakfast cereals and yeast extracts.
Unread 02-12-2017, 04:30 PM

DefiantJustice is on a distinguished road

Oh man! I'm doing the eye level 3 nvq and I already bought 2 books and looks like i need the other one now!
Unread 02-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Hi, a warm welcome to the site, which handbook did your tutor recommend as they can link with the specific course you've enrolled with xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 02-12-2017, 05:53 PM

Im doing the ncfe cache level 3 diploma for the early years workforce(early years educator) the first book my nvq advisor suggested didnt really match up to the unit numbers(cache level 3 childcare and education early years educator bruce and meggit) so i bought the cache level 3 early years educator for the class room based learner bruce and meggit but then that pic you posted above is from another book and its not in either of the ones i have, I'm tearing my hair out!
Unread 02-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Hi, the image I posted is from the work based book, the information this one provides is more direct/bullet point than the class room edition which goes into more detail, pages 11 - 15 look at the different age groups.

Pages 140 - 145 of the Childcare and Education handbook, maybe see about returning this one for a refund?

If it helps & you're working in england there's also nutritional guidance in the publication made available on the children's food trust website - Eat Better Start Better

Best wishes xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 02-13-2017, 10:05 PM

I bought the other book, I'm going to see how much I use the books and then if I dont really use them I'll sell them on. Thanks for replying.