Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 09-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

AppleTree is on a distinguished road
Default starting out on level 3 diploma CYPW

Hi everyone, I am starting the diploma in a couple of weeks and have secured a work placement at a local nursery but I'm really nervous and wondered if anyone had any tips or advice for a complete beginner!

I'm currently studying at university part time (my course could relate to the diploma, depending in the direction I choose to go in once I graduate) and will be doing the diploma part time too.

I have not been able to find out much information from the course leader but have purchased the Penny Tassoni book for the course but I'm wondering what other reading I can do to help prepare.

As I am at university I have access to a great deal of books on child development, teaching and working in early years settings, is it worth doing some reading on theorists like Vygotsky, Piaget etc?

I'm hoping this course will either be a good fall back in case I can't secure a job with my degree or it will work in my favour and together the qualifications will help me to get a job... Does this sound totally mad?! (I'm beginning to wonder!)

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-03-2012, 04:15 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i expect my l3 starters to know their child development well and at least the basic theorists as well as legislation esp the eyfs and the safeguarding law as that is what they do on level 2. good luck!!
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:44 PM

Thanks tutu, I will start with Piaget and Vygotsky (as they're the only theorists I'm familiar with!) and will refresh my knowledge on safeguarding, I have covered this a bit through voluntary work I have done at my children's school and covered Piaget and Vygotsky when I studied psychology so at least it's not all totally alien!

I'm really nervous about starting the course but looking forward to it :)
Unread 09-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Another question... Am I required to build up a portfolio while I'm on placement? Is that the way the course is assessed? I was expecting essays and exams but it doesn't seem to be like that at all and I'm not quite sure what to expect!
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:17 PM

no theres about 18 assignments essays then the assessor will observe you 3 or 4 times the portfolio will be a mixture of you written work and her observations but the tutor will go through all that with you. I have 23 starting next week theyre a really mixed bunch one with a phd in ed but he cant get a job without a L3 always an exciting time !
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:36 PM

Wow, sounds like it will be very full on even doing it part time! I'm only doing my undergrad degree but from what I've heard from other people it seems like the diploma will be more likely to help me get a job than a degree!
Unread 09-03-2012, 10:04 PM

definitely . I have people with degrees every year on my 3, about half a dozen. The level 3 i your license to practice i myself don't employ people without it and teach the degree! but its far more theoretical and not applied.