Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Parent Partnerships

Parent Partnerships Early Years interviews, appraisals, building partnerships with parents, carers and your local extended community. Share ideas to help support staff in working together and in identifying stakeholders. Please use this forum to discuss solutions, problem solving and linking experiences ...

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 06-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

kilnacolpagh is on a distinguished road
Last Unit!!!!!!!

Can anyone provide me with a little guidance, you would think with 20 units complete and signed off i would of got used to this, but last unit and really struggling!!!
2.1explain how parents are engaged as partners in their childrens early learning
2.2explain key relationship building strategies and skills involved in working with parents in partnership
2.3explain key communication strategies and skills involved in working with parents in partnership
2.4explain a range of strategies that can be used to build confidence in parents as their childs first educator
3.1explain social, personal and cultural barriers to parents being involved in their childrens early learning
3.2explain a range of strategies to help overcome barriers to parental involvement in their childs early learning
3.3explain how attitudes can be barriers to engaging parents in their childrens early learning
4.1explain culturally sensitive ways of working with parents to help them provide appropiate support for their childrens early learning
4.2reflect on ways of working with parents to help them provide appropiate support for their childrens early learning
i completed outcome one and when i went onto the rest i was just repeating and repeating myself, thanks.........so near yet so far x x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-07-2012, 02:58 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

you need to do some research look at the EPPE project research by sylva et al, desforges research and the organisation PEAL. Penn Green do a lot of work on this and surely you have had some teaching!
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:55 PM

thanks for your reply i have answered alot of the questions but when i read it back i seem to be repeating myself over and over again all i was looking was to see if anyone else came up with something i was missing!!!!!!as i am in northern ireland alot of the research does not apply here i.e ofsted so things can get a bit confusing, and yeah i have had some teaching.......3 hours per fortnight!!!!! and up until this stage i havent had to ask for help from anyone so i didnt think it was too much to ask on here for some advice, obviously not!!!!
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

discod is on a distinguished road

I have three questions left on this unit them im done....everything finished. This unit is not in the book so im also finding it quite hard...tutor is useless and would never recommend the course through the company im using for this area unless they got a different tutor!!
Anyways questions are

2.4-Explain and demonstrate a range of strategies that can be used to build confidence in parents as their childs first educator

4.1-Explain culturally sensitive ways of working with parents to help them provide appropriate support for their children’s early learning.

4.3-Identify and explain support and changes needed to improve own skills and knowledge and build on their own practice

any help is greatly appreciated x
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

jellybrain is on a distinguished road

Hi

this is a hard one I must agree with you there.

Have you managed to do 3.2 as I'm not sure if I've covered it correctly.

I haven't even looked at outcome 4 but so far the answers do seem to be very similar

Any guidance you could give would be appreciated.
x
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM

2.4 i simply put that at our setting we have monthly group meeting where all that is happening is explained to the parents and they are free to ask any questions they may have. I also put that the entrance hallway is designated to the parents only and has a notice board with all cirriculum advice, current newsletters, and a copy of a newsheet that is sent home with the monthly newsletter ststing how best the parent can support their child in each area. there is also a maths bag system operating in my setting where a bag is sent home with each child weekly containing perhaps a book on wild animals, and some wild animal toys along with an advice sheet for the parents about how best to use this resource. i.e read the book and talk about how many animals, which are the biggest, smallest etc.
4.1 culturally sensitive ways of working means that it is important if the parent agrees, that you include their culture into working practices. i talked here about my setting having a young girl who as part of her culture cannot eat ham so on the days she is their, ham is not put out for any of the children. It also includes ensuring that if there is a language barrier due to the culture, that an interpreter is on hand to ensure the parent fully understands what is expected of them. perhaps have a member of staff fully research the culture so that everyone is aware of anything that needs to be put in place to provide an inclusive practice. always try to be friendly to the parent so that they can build trust in you that if there is something they need addressing or something you need addressing it is easier to do so if there is trust.
also set up special culture days representing the culture.

4.3 this means you need to look at ur own practice what you do to include any child of a different culture, could you make any changes?again you could talk about buying books which represent different cultures so everyone is aware of the differences etc
good luck
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybrain View Post
Hi

this is a hard one I must agree with you there.

Have you managed to do 3.2 as I'm not sure if I've covered it correctly.

I haven't even looked at outcome 4 but so far the answers do seem to be very similar

Any guidance you could give would be appreciated.
x
i did find myself repeating over and over again but i am finished now and it is all signed off now so it must of been ok, if there is anything else send the question you need answered as i have no notes at home anymore, but will try to help you if i can it is really tough when there is no guidence, good luck
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the pointers on outcome 4 that is a huge help. Yes sometimes a little guidance goes along way. I can sometimes spend hours on one question which is very frustrating.

Well done for getting yours signed off.

3.2 Explain and demonstrate a range of strategies to help overcome barriers
to parental involvement in their childs learning

x
Unread 07-12-2012, 05:21 PM

Smile

first of all i pointed out what the barriers might be i.e the parent working long hours, the parent being just shy, a parent with a language barrier, a family new to the area etc. then i took how you might overcome these i.e. by encouraging parents to become involved in the likes of free exercise classes run in the area, to try and become familiar with other parents, by having non formal coffee afternoons where parents are free to call in for a chat with ourselves or even just each other, barriers can also be overcome by things like arranging parent interviews etc at a time that suits around the parents working hours, or by again producing newsletters in different languages etc. also by ensuring parents are informed all the time about any relevant events etc and encouraging them at all time to come to events. Some parents are just naturally not up to being involved in their childs learning and see that as the role of the setting so anything that can be done to encourage involvment is a positive step. hope this helps
Unread 07-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Wow that's a relief!

I've written on the same sort of line so hopefully it's ok.

You have been a huge huge help thankyou very much.