Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD

Training, Qualifications & CPD These forums contain details on different courses, ideas and links to help with opportunities in many aspects of continuing own and groups's personal development. If you have any questions or can help with information relating to training & further education .. firstly thankyou and please feel free to use these forums .. NB: All Silkysteps forums are public - Please post responsibly and professionally & always get in touch if needed ..

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 03-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

dee11 is on a distinguished road
Default home study courses

any advice im a mam of 3 boys and college isnt for me and my husband works shift work so i have no one to look after the boys so college really isnt an option anyway so the next best thing is home learning and was wondering if anyone knows of a good course i want to become a nursery assistant thanks to anyone who replies in advance :blush:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-31-2011, 04:05 PM

bump anybody please
Unread 04-02-2011, 02:54 PM

would a cache level 2 childrens care learning and development be any good do you know
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

twinthing is on a distinguished road

three years ago I did a home learning course, a level 2...all written work and no assesor visits...I enjoyed it but was told the day I recieved my certificate that it was no long full and relevant as level 2 was no longer a high enough qualification . I was enrolled at a local collage to do the NVQ 3.....my tutorials were once a month so I was able to find a baby sitter for most of them, my husband also works shifts and other memebers of our class had difficulites with child care so your not alone there! in fact one lady had a 6 week old baby which she would bring with her! with that type of qualification no one actually checks your day to day practice.... I had a very supportive and encouraging on line tutor who I emailed my essays too but just because I was able to write about it gave no indication as to weather I was acutally any good at my job! my boss was not asked to write anything and infact, even though you were supposed to be in a setting, I know at least 2 other people on the course at the same time as me were not even working in a setting at the time! I assume thats why the certificate I gained is not full..... and no longer available, it was a cache certficate in child care learning and development level 2...not the NVQ.....lets hope some other members who are doing the level 2 NVQ will give you some advice .
there are plenty of providers for home learning but I have no idea which ones are ok....good luck in finding something x
Unread 04-03-2011, 11:08 AM

thankyou for your reply its finding a course that is suitable i have talked to the nursery where my youngest child is they are willing to let me do a few hours voluntary work when i get my course sorted out thats what im worried about paying all that money then being told the course is no good after all thanks again for your reply again anybody else done a home learning course please reply just out of interest im going to put a shortcut to a website and course http://www.icslearn.co.uk/vocational...childrenscare/ what do you think of this course
Unread 04-03-2011, 05:13 PM

twinthing is on a distinguished road

that look identical to the course I did.......and I was lucky, my setting paid for mine! it was 12 written essays....some of which went to cache to mark the rest were marked by my tutor.....and a multiple choice exam at a local education centre....Im not sure of the value of it, I know alot of members here feel that home learning is not as good as the is no element of assessment in the work place...mine was via the national extention college but they dont offer this course anymore. I have a feeling that most settings would expect you to have an NVQ level 2, perhaps asking the manager of the setting your little one goes to might help....see it from the point of the employer, as to the qualifications they prefer and look for on a C.V. x
Unread 04-03-2011, 05:36 PM

ray is on a distinguished road

I did both my Level Two in CCLD and Level Three with a company called JHP Training. You do all "written work" by email on a special website and the performance observations are done by an assessor observing you in your work place setting and by Witness testimonies. There is usually some funding available on these courses. Good luck in finding a course that suits your needs. You do need to be placed in a setting to do this course but it can be voluntary. There is a requirement for a certain amount of hours needed to complete the course.
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:20 PM

thankyou for your replies i am finding it hard to find the right one the nursery has already said i can do some work there when i get a course sorted i thought the ics one would be ok as they advertise on the tv
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:27 PM

ray is on a distinguished road

I dont think ICS is recognised as a proper qualification. Try an apprenticeship?? JHP Training are really good
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:57 PM

thankyou ray i ll have a look