Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 07-30-2007, 11:22 PM
vik3000

Default Minimum hours? Retainers

Am I being awful stipulating a minimum about of hours i will charge for irrespective of hours attended?

I have a pain in the rear mum who thinks I am a babysitter and no amount of asking, telling, explaining, pleading or chasing will make her understand.
I have bent over backwards to accomodate this mum and she is still taking the micheal!

does anyone else stipulate minimum hours? What about retainer?

Again I have bent over backwards to help her out (too my cost) with the retainer.

I have sent her a letter informing her that I will be reviewing the contract, invited her to an appointment on the 17th August (or another date around then if that is not convienent), I have given her written notice of change of fees, change of retainer fee and implementation of minimum hours. To be discussed and agreeded in writing at appointment, when I will give her written confirmation and it will be implemented on the 10th Sept.

Am I being fair enough?

Bit of background (perhaps I should have put this in first lol), it has taken me 5 months to pin mum down about sons adhd, she texts me on a sunday round 9.30pm for hours for the following week, this month I minded the kids for a total of 5 hours, 45 mins one week, 2.5hrs the following and then the remainder the following week. I knew the hours were variable but not this minimal.

Thanks (sorry if I have rambled on)

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-31-2007, 05:39 PM
noah

Not a childminder but do know of one in this area who charges extra for occasional hours which is what she would class the above as...those with regular number of hours per week pay much less. She tends to charge by the hour and the rate is quite high to reflect the fact that you are 'fitting the children in' and could be losing another regular child because of this. May be worth considering in this case...dont know exactly how she works it but she does offer childminding at short notice to mums if she has room and is in fact very popular because of this.
Unread 08-02-2007, 11:19 PM
charleyfarley

I have same problem although I do have the child more hours than you, it's difficult to say something as he's the only one I have at moment due to living in the sticks. I have however written a prospectus for future parents explaining normal contracted fees, occasional fees and increase of fees after minding the child a year. If it's difficult to pin your parent down inform them you won't beable to have the child if things aren't sorted out, harsh I know but if you aren't happy. What are you actually contracted for? Because they should be paying that regardless of what you work
Unread 08-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I've never done it but I know some minders who do... think it depends on the parents you are dealing with and how much money they make ie whether they can afford it and also whether or not you mind losing the child.....

I have 1 child who's dad sends him when he can't get him anywhere else so i feel like a used teabag most of the time - but I don't let it bother me and certainly don't bend over to help him - if I'm in then ok, if i'm not then tough it's earlier or not at all etc. Get tough is my tip!!

Sarahx