Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 05-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

makilograce is on a distinguished road
Default unit 503 level 4 playwork

Hi can anyone help with section 1 of the unit 503

Q. an explanation of how to critically evaluate play work theories and models in the light of own observations and interactions with children and young people

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

lozcal is on a distinguished road

i have this on it but it has not been marked yet so i have no idea if its right.
i am stuck on the last section about disabilities and risk. my tutor is so rubish and does not reply!

How to critically evaluate playwork theories and models in the light of own observations and interactions with children and young people

In my setting we use the playwork principles as a basis for our framework. They describe what is unique about play and playwork, and provide the playwork perspective for working with children and young people.

Settings should also look at different theorists and theories, especially those who influence England’s EYFS.

Reggio Emilia-
• Children need control over their own play and learning with professionals as facilitators.
• Children learn through using all senses.
• Children need to learn from and enjoy being with other children.
• Children need a rich environment to learn and express themselves in a multitude of ways.
In my setting:
• Providing opportunities for child-initiated play.
• ‘Enabling Environments’ – prompts us to think about how rich the environment is for children.
• Emphasis on sensory and outdoor play.
• Emphasis on social development and learning with other children.

Montisorri-
• Observe children to support their learning.
• Making appropriate interventions.
• ‘Play with a purpose” – activities and equipment have specific learning objectives and provide gradual challenges.
In my setting:
• Observing children individually to extend development.
• Ensure children are challenged to progress learning.
• All equipment and toys are age appropriate.

It is also be beneficial for practitioners to look at High/scope and Steigner as they also affect EYFS, as well as ‘Common Core’.

It is of high importance that we look at the theorists around observing children (such as Susan Isaac) to ensure we have a full grasp of the theories and models that observations are based on. There are many different ways to observe children and each different method is backed up by a theory.

In my setting we also use the basic principles of observations.

(The Playworrker’s handbook, Kamen, T, page 70)

The basic principles of observations:

The following are some important point to consider when observing children and young people.
1. Confidentiality
2. Be objective
3. Remember equal opportunities
4. Be positive
5. Use a holistic approach
6. Consider the child’s feelings
7. Practice