Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 06-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

mjw76 is on a distinguished road
Help SOS CYP3.1 Have I got the right idea??

Hi I think I just need reassurance that I've got the right idea and have answered the questions sufficiently before I hand this in please?

This is what I've put:

Unit 022 5.1, 5.2, Unit 024, 6.1, 110 3.1
Explain how you would support children and young people during each transition.
Evaluate how each transition may affect their development and evaluate the effect on children of having positive relationships during periods of transition, linking this to your own experiences in the setting.

Emotional: A child who has suffered a bereavement may be affected in different ways such as depression, they may not want to talk, they may get angry, lack in concentration, may get easily distressed and can affect their behaviour, this can also be a trigger for imaginary friends. I would offer support taking the child's feelings into consideration and take their lead. I would talk with them, show compassion and understanding, let them know it is perfectly normal and ok to be upset, I would may be also read books with them to help them understand how they are feeling, may be the use of puppets to motivate child who doesn't want to talk. Talk with the parents about any concerns or changes in behaviour, and also to offer support to them as well.

Physical: Moving house or school can be very unsettling for children. They may become more clingy, they may have behavioural changes such as regression, become more extrovert or withdrawn, they may start bed wetting and become very anxious. I would talk about the changes with the child. If they were moving settings I would arrange visits so the child becomes familiar with the new environment, routine and the people there. For children moving home, I would talk about it in a positive way, giving reassurance that it is an exciting time and opportunity to make new friends. Talk with the child's parents/carers about any concerns the child may have about losing contact with old friends and making new friendships for example.

Physiological: Puberty is a good example of a physiological transition as this affects young people both physically and emotionally as their bodies go through changes. Young people can feel more self conscious, have loss of self esteem if they feel they are not developing at the same rate as their peers. Some may become more aggressive or suffer mood swings as hormone levels are fluctuating greatly. I would answer any questions honestly, openly, and in a sincere and professional manner. I would also offer books or leaflets for the young person to read.

Intellectual: Can be moving from pre school to nursery. May show lack of concentration, may regress, may bed wet, may become clingy again, may lack motivation, may become anxious about new teachers or making new friends. Similarly to the physical transition, I would prepare the child for the transition by talking with them about it in a positive manner, arrange visits with the new school/teacher so that the child becomes familiar with their new surroundings.

Smaller Daily Transitions: This can be ending activities for tidy up time towards the end of a session, or turn taking during activities for example. The child may have temper tantrums if they don't wish to end the activity they are involved in, be unwilling to participate in the new activity, may be uncooperative, and lack in motivation. I would prepare the child for the end of the activity, one way would be to say one more turn around the playground on the bike, then it's time to give someone else a turn. Use a timer to let the children know that it will be 5 minutes until tidy up time, when the timer goes off the children then know it's time to stop and help tidy up, this is what we do in our setting.

Positive relationships are important during times of transition of children as they will need someone who they can trust and turn to if there is anything upsetting or concerning them. This is where the key person system is important, as it provides one specific person within the setting that a child can feel secure happy and comfortable with. The key person can plan for and organise activities around each transition. The key person can monitor the child's reactions to their transitions, and offer reassurance and guidance, to ensure that the transition runs smoothly.

We had a child in our setting who was moving to a new pre school closer to home when a place became available for him. He was nervous and a bit apprehensive about moving pre schools, however his key worker had arranged visits for him, so he could familiarise himself with his new setting, the teachers and children. She had gone along with him and his mother on each visit, as mum was worried about how he might cope as well. The positive relationship with both he child and his mother ensured that the transition went smoothly.

A critical eye would be greatly appreciated please xx

-----------------------------------------