Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 03-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

singingemma is on a distinguished road
General question idea's for story sacks?

Hello I'm new to this site and just thought i would give it ago writing my own thread.
At work, we have decided that we are all going to create story sacks. Does anybody know what to put inside a story sack and has anyone got any idea's on what stories to use?
has anyone else made their own??
Emma x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by singingemma View Post
Hello I'm new to this site and just thought i would give it ago writing my own thread.
At work, we have decided that we are all going to create story sacks. Does anybody know what to put inside a story sack and has anyone got any idea's on what stories to use?
has anyone else made their own??
Emma x
Story sacks can hold whatever you want them too to make them more visual, 'living' stories with possibilities for many children to to participate in them.
They can all be different too - use you imagination, ideas and chat amongst colleagues to see how you can bring stories more to life or just put a new twist to them.

If you have large story books, this is even more visual for the children and with a story such as Handa's Surprise - you can have different fruit - edible or plastic and a wicker tray/basket. You can do this with the hungry caterpillar story. An alternative to the fruit is either to laminate photographs or children's pictures of the fruit. If you have a felt board - buy or cut out felt fruit shapes to place on (adult or children) as you tell the story. Adding things to a story sack can extend the activity such as then looking at fruit, what's healthy, what should be eaten in moderation etc.

Think of any story the children like and then think how you could make up a story sack i.e. Jack and the Beanstalk - adding figures and some 'magic' beans (use runner beans).

You can use background music (quietly) to match the story you read or have a cd of interest to put on after reading a story such as when reading the blue whale - let the children hear a cd of how they sound - or start with the sound of a whale under the sea, then read a story relating to them.

Children can take part by dressing up, using puppets, objects, musical intruments or jut by chanting such as 'Fi, Fie, Fo, Fum.......' or 'I'll huff and I'll puff...'

Keeping everything together in a story sack means it's ready to use when you read to a child/small or big group .
Unread 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

singingemma is on a distinguished road

thankyou this has really helped :)
I think i'm going to do my story sack on the book 'whatever next' the children in my setting love this book and the props are easy to find! a colander, some wellys and an owl!!! perfect any more ideas of what else i should put in it??

x
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Whatever next is a pretty cool book, it's hard to keep it contained to a bag

You could include the moon or a space book to compliment the theme & provide children the opportunity to choose or change the story direction.

Possibly add in a few natural fruits and vegetables to balance out the choccy biscuits & honey/syrup .. weather, transport, day & night symbols could also be good.

Have fun with it & any picnics you take part in xx
the cost of ad blockers