Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > PSE Wellbeing Health Safeguarding

PSE Wellbeing Health Safeguarding All matters relating to Personal, Social & Emotional issues, safeguarding and protecting, behaviour, illness, inclusion.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 11-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Doodah is on a distinguished road
General question Have any of you had dealings with children with Verbal Dispraxia?

I was wondering if any of you EYFS practitioners have ever come across any chiildren with verbal/speech dyspraxia? (http://www.dyslexia-testing.com.au/w...bal-dyspraxia/) And if so what was done to support the child? And what was the outcome?

I am asking for personal reasons as my 3 year old son has just been diagnosed by his speech and language therapist as displaying typical signs of verbal dispraxia. He has an IEP which is implemented daily by his keyworker and backed up by myself at home. He has had 5 sessions of s&l therapy, but he is sooooooo young and does not concentrate very well! And he has now been referred to the Early Years Team.

He is a very happy, but extremely sensitive child. He is intelligent eg can count to 10, knows his colours. He has always found a way to get his message across but he is due to start primary school in September and I am worried :weepy: as his speech is unclear to an outside ear.

What are your experiences of situations like these? I would be grateful for any feedback

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, hugs for september xx with it being so far off you do have a while to plan for him and so much could happen in that time. Do you know who his teacher will be?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Doodah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthierhyme View Post
Hiya, hugs for september xx with it being so far off you do have a while to plan for him and so much could happen in that time. Do you know who his teacher will be?
Hi there, thanks for your reply, I actually work at the school he will be going to (at the moment on a year's contract) and I work in the same office as the SENCo, and have been dropping hints to her about his problems. And she hasn't dealt with this before so it will be new to her. I do know the reception teachers too.

The nursery he attends have had him on an IEP since he
was 2 and have worked really hard with him, making him box of his favourite things, a photo album, playing sound games, doing Mr Tongue and teaching him to sign. They have been amazing. He watches a lot of Mr Tumble and I work with him on his sounds too.

It is very frustrating because I know he is a clever little boy and I'm sure he would be saying 10 word sentences by now if he could talk properly!

He has recently been referred to the Early Years team - I am waiting for an appointment - and has had a hearing test which showed that his hearing is perfect.

Just gotta keep practising lots and lots and lots! Recently he has learned to say "Bumble Bee". Seems such a small achievement - but it was a huge one for him.

I'll keep you posted