Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Preschool themes and topics > Planning activities themes and topics for preschool early years > Tools and materials

Tools and materials Every day we use a multitude of tools that help us complete tasks and achieve targets. This forum contains a range of activity ideas to support preschool nursery children's learning and development inside and outside

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Highfive BBQ ~ Barbecues and National BBQ Week !

Enjoy yourselves this year with BBQ ativities, food and eating !

Beach, Garden, heathland, wherever you set up check when you leave that you have everything with you - inside & eaten and not

National BBQ Week is a corporate collaboration and sponsored campaign please see their website for more details - BBQ week

Some Activities that you can do with the children...

Safety Awareness - Matches, lighters, and other ignition tools used for lighting barbecues could be much more visible to the children during this period ~ so making sure that they know how dangerous they are is vital.

Circle Time :- Introduce Cooking in the garden as a topic and chat about the types of foods that the children have tasted from a BBQ.

When asking them how a BBQ is lit discuss what tools they think can light a fire.
Do they think these implements are safe?
What could happen if they touched them?
Who should light a BBQ - a dragon or an adult?

Collage a Barbie ...
Cut 2 large circles of paper ~ staple them together in one place so that they form a base and lid of the BBQ!
Let the Children cut strips of grey paper and glue on to form the gridle bars.
Use coloured/textured paper ~ precut shapes or magazine images to discuss foods, their tastes & whether the child has tried it before.
Cut out and glue onto the BBQ.

WEATHER & SEASON
You could introduce Australia as an example of reverse weather conditions ... let the children know that when it is snowing in the UK it is very hot & good outdoor BBQ weather in Australia!
When do they think the best time would be to have a BBQ ~ in the rain or sun?
This opens up chances to tlak about eventuality - what would happen if a family had a barbecue in each of those weather conditions ...
  • What would happen to the brickettes in they were rained on?
  • What precautions could be taken to have a BBQ in the rain ... under shelter.
Summer, Winter, Autumn & Spring - look at the overall temperatures of the seasons and decide together which, in order, are the best times for BBQ'ing outside.

RECIPES For Snack Time
Experiment making different sauces that the children can try by dipping in Bread sticks.

SAUCES

Try liquidising up your own BBQ dips and sauces ....

Fresh tomatoes, Mixed herbs, salt & pepper make a very basic sauce and an ideal starting point for many variations of it .......

Kebabs
Sweet or savoury these are a wonderful way to introduce the children to a huge variety of fruit, vegetables & meats

Cut chunks together and spear them onto long kebab sticks.
Eat the fruit ones straight away & Oven cook/BBQ others that require it!

Personal Favourite .......
Grapes, marshmallows, tinned papaya & pineapple
Served with a melted chocolate/vanilla/milk sauce .. yummmmm

HINTS & TIPS ~ I don't know a great deal about BBQs in general, so if everyone else has some website links for maintaining them, recommendations on your own ones, and of course recipes to use on them ... then please post away .....
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 04-27-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Updated for 2009

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-08-2006, 09:07 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Highfive

We actually had a BBQ yesterday, after the rain! It was still good though.

I have a few favourite recipes for BBQing

Savoury Patties:
Take 1 tube/packet sausage meat, 1 small packet of sage & onion stuffing (made up), and a chopped onion, chuck into a bowl and squidge (technical term!) together. Toss in flour and seasoning and cook. These patties freeze well, so make a big batch.

Roasted Pepper Mayo:
Deseed and quarter a couple of your favourite colour peppers (we like red), place on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and roast until soft and slightly charred. Whizz up (another technical term) with mayonnaise and seasoning and either use as a dip or a sauce.

BBQ'd Bananas:
Split the skin of a banana lengthways and open slightly so the banana remains inside. Stuff with chocolate and marshmallows or peanut butter, wrap in tinfoil and BBQ for a yummy dessert. :drool:

I also have a great recipe for tandoori chicken kebabs (low fat too!), but give me a few days to find it!

BBQ Recipes I have found a few good recipes here - especially this one: Shudderuppers

Don't forget to patronise your local butcher. If you have one of the more well-known ones locally, see if you can get pork and black pudding sausages - OMG they are fantastic!!!!:drool: :drool: :drool: Oh yeah, and good chunks of black pud on kebabs with other bits 'n' bobs is fab too!

Mmmmm, think we'll have another BBQ soon! :rotfl: :rotfl:
Unread 05-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Patsy

dear Miss Muppet,If your into bbq. come to see us when we move and have a braaivleis with us. Thats the S. African term for bbq,J. is an expert on whole chicken,t.bone done whole in a joint,trout which is my favourite and kebabs.lol
any one else who enjoys bbq more than welcome.naturally lots of beer,wine etc..
Cant guarentee the sun but will try our best.The name of our new pub just happens to be the Sun.
Unread 05-13-2006, 05:21 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Biggrin

Cool! I'm packing my bags, I'll see you in a couple of hours! LOL I do love BBQ, but I've never been brave enough to try fish on it! :sorry: Must give it a go.

The S. African weather must be better than Englands!?!?!? But it wouldn't be a BBQ without a few clouds! :rotfl:
Unread 05-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

MMmmmmm, the roasted pepper mayo sounds great. My DD is mayo mad so she'll love that.

Corn on the cobs are a good BBQ food.