Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 11-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

WendyW is on a distinguished road
Default 345 Literacy & 346 Numeracy

Has anyone done these optional units??

I am just starting them and they look a little daunting.

How do I explain the basic principles of how children learn to read/write and the principles of mathematics?? I know what to do with the children I work with and how to develop their numeracy and literacy, but I am struggling to explain the basic principles of how they learn them.

I also have to produce a flow chart of how children learn to read and write from FS1 to Y2.

Can anyone recommend any good websites with this information. I have looked at the EYFS website and found lots of information on there, but this is more to do with developmental stages, which is what I use for guidance when planning activities.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-28-2009, 01:26 PM

?????? Anyone ??????
Unread 11-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Tracy.S is on a distinguished road
Default unit 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
?????? Anyone ??????
Hi I'm working on these two units. I've also done TA course and have found info on this in the teaching assistants handbook NVQ2 by Louise Burnham.

This is what I wrote for how children learn to read'

Children use a range of different strategies so they are able to make sense of what they are reading. These include:

• Phonic cues – looking at the sounds that make up words enabling them to sound out what the word might say. A child using their knowledge of sounds once they have learned how to link the sounds together sounds out a three-letter word like cat easily.
• Contextual cues – Children will look at the setting of the text, what the book is about to work out unfamiliar words.
• Picture cues – Children use illustrations in books, particularly in the early stages of reading to get an idea of what the book is about. It is important not to cover the pictures for this reason.
• Grammatical cues – Children learn to make sense of the structure of sentences through their knowledge of grammar. If they read a text and miss out a word they will know what kind of word is missing, verb, adjective, etc.

These cues help children to decipher text through forming a system that will help them to decode its meaning. As they learn they are constantly reviewing the skills which they have already developed. Reading is therefore something that involves constantly revising and building up a bank of sounds and eventually words so the child is able to gradually build on previous knowledge.

This is what I wrote for how they lern to write,

Skills of reading and writing are closely linked and reinforce each other. Children develop writing skills when they are given the opportunity to use their phonic knowledge for a variety of purposes. During the early stages of writing support for children will be focused on pencil grip and letter formation. Joined writing should be encouraged by the end of year two and pupils should be encouraged to form letters correctly in order to write more fluently. Pen grips or wider triangular pencils should be provided for children who have difficulty holding their pencil correctly. As children become more confident and learn their letters and sounds they start to use phonics to break down words and will eventually write independently.
Children need support during the earliest stages of writing to help them word build and stay focused on their writing. Over time they become more confident and able at writing and can concentrate more on developing ideas for their writing. They learn how to put these ideas into words and sentences through different ways of writing. At this stage they will need varying degrees of support to help them structure and organise their written work

Hope this helps a bit, I haven't started on the numeracy on yet!

Tracy
Unread 12-04-2009, 07:42 PM

Thank you so much for your reply - it's good to see how different people approach it.

With regards to learning to write, I am not sure whether I needed to start from the very basics, as in describing how we encourage children in mark making activities such as making marks in shaving foam or sand, then onto how they start to give meaning to what they have drawn (even if we cant decipher what it is), letting them make marks to music etc. Then onto how they mimic adults, for example they may have scribbled marks on paper but say "I have wrote you a letter, I have made a shopping list".

All this comes before they even start to begin to form recognisable letters. Do you think I should include this or just say how they start to learn to write ?

Hope this makes sense ??? What I am meaning is - how far back do I go in saying how children learn to write ???