Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 09-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Leelee87 is on a distinguished road
Hi All! wasn't sure where to post this so i apologize in advance

Hi everyone

i am basically just trying to get as much advice as possible. I recently completed my NVQ2 in child care, learning and development. I am starting My BEd Early Years Teaching degree in a few weeks time. Itis a three year course and on successful completion, you gain QTS (qualified teacher status).
My question is, should I be doing the Early Years Foundation degree?
My second question is, if i stayed on this BEd EY teaching, what would happen next? would i still need to do a PGCE? I am just confused as to where i would need to go after I finish the degree.

Any answers would be appreciated.
Thankyou

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Possum is on a distinguished road

Hasn't your college been able to advise you? I would have thought QTS would negate the need for PGCE, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure our local area take PGCE students on the teacher training course
Unread 09-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Hasn't your college been able to advise you? I would have thought QTS would negate the need for PGCE, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure our local area take PGCE students on the teacher training course
QTS (qualified teacher status) will allow you to teach/lead the Foundation years (upto the end of reception year). If you wish to teach elsewhere in schools, you are normally required to take a PGCE.
Unread 09-12-2010, 10:37 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

wow i hope you have done something else as well! a degree is nothing like an nvq 2 which is below gcse standard. make sure you find out where the writing support people are and get some really good academic writing guides. you need a pgce after your degree that is the only way to qualify as a teacher. BEd plus pgce
Unread 10-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Thankyou Tutu for your response, although the nvq 2 course that I did was not below GCSE standards, it was actually the equivalent of GCSE's. Also, the university accepted me based on my abilities and I didn't suggest for one second that an NVQ 2 course would be anything like a degree course. The mere fact that I am on the degree and write very good essays makes me feel as confident as I could possibly be. So, I won't be needing writing support. I posted this question to get answers about my options after doing my degree. The first few people who answered my question did so without trying to throw in a few insults, so please save your sarcasm and unhelpful answers for someone else.

Greatly appreciated!!
Unread 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
QTS (qualified teacher status) will allow you to teach/lead the Foundation years (upto the end of reception year). If you wish to teach elsewhere in schools, you are normally required to take a PGCE.
Thankyou for your helpful response Heidi, I will talk to some universities about the PGCE options.
Unread 10-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Thankyou for your helpful response Possum. My college only advised me on my route in to teaching based on what I was studying, which was early years. the next part is just something I was thinking about should I decide I wish to teach older children.
Unread 10-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee87 View Post
Thankyou for your helpful response Heidi, I will talk to some universities about the PGCE options.
I wouldn't worry about it at the moment. You have three years ahead of you to enjoy. You will be expected to do a lot of academic reading - books and journals, academic research, think and question for yourself. You will be able to re-examine your options when you get to that point.

Your lecturers will probably reiterate with Tutu ( who is a university lecturer) that a PGCE is needed whatever path you take; unless someone is on a universal teacher training course, we are all expected to take a PGCE to teach in schools. These days there seems to be a general requirement for teachers to do a masters - times are changing.

I'd concentrate on what you need to do presently and if all goes well, you will know more of what you want to do and it will seem right for you when you get there.

Good Luck.