Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 09-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chloe is on a distinguished road
Default Mothers and Toddlers Group

Daughter and I have spend hours sorting out toys,cleaning,paperwork .Mums think they can come have coffee served to them,their children have a lovely activity,snack,songs whilst they sit and have a chat even during story time!When asked if they could sign up for craft/making coffee there were very few takers! Daughter and I plus one Grandfather(bless him!)put all the toys away.
They were so busy chatting that I said I was now sweeping up and they all disappeared! Have a rota for activity,making coffee,some have signed up but lots have excuses even Mum with new baby questioned why she should pay!!
Nexst week no one has signed up to make coffee so wonder how long they will last cause I am not doing it!Sorry got to share my anger with you all and I am doing it for love otherwise the group woul have closed!:rotfl::muted::soapbox: :weepy:

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road

Hi Chloe I can really understand how you feel, we have the same problem at our toddlers too maybe we'll have to have a "housekeeping" discussion at the start of each session like they do when you go on a course stating the ground rules etc don't really know what the answer is I guess at least you can get it off your chest on this site!
Unread 09-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

busybee is on a distinguished road

Im sorry to say i finished my toddlers this week which i have run voluntary for the past 3 and half years as just the same, managed to get someone to take other so good luck to her, she will need it the only time anyone has any thing to contribute was to moan about something, when we suggested a rota for refreshment making we lost half the parents in a week and never came back. I cant understand some people i run it for free out of my own spare time dont even have time for lunch as work in morn and then all the preparation for activities and snacks etc, and sometimes find noone turns up and all been waste of time, other weeks im dealing with all the children as if i were a childminder its a toddlers and the children there own responsibility,and then yes when time to tidy they all disappear so left with my own 2 young children trying to tidy as they pull it out after me,exhausting, so called it a day.
Unread 09-15-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Mothers and Toddlers Group

Oh what a shame that you gave up.Hopefully next week things will change as you suggested will have house rules!
Unread 09-15-2007, 04:22 PM

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

Why not put up a note -

Cost £1 per session (or whatever)

Please feel free to make your own tea / coffee in the kitchen

Please wash up your own cups when you have finished - bowl of hot water provided

We will be putting toys away at x o'clock (half hour before finish time) to make the floor safe for a singing session

We would not be able to remain open without the support of everyone who comes

Thank you for your support

It worked for me some years ago when I used to run a local toddler group.... hope it helps

Sarahx
Unread 09-15-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Group!

Thanks !
Unread 09-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Patsy

Chloe, I go to an adult group every Mon.p.m. There is a girl there who does teas and coffees etc. for us.Have been going six months ,since I started have been helping thinking how rotten the other 30 plus were not lending a hand. A few weeks ago another 2 started and likewise help.It was only on the way home that I found out she gets paid for doing it.Likewise the mums and tots adults might think you get paid. Maybe if you also made it known you are there as a volunteer to lead the group especialy as you have some traininglLet them know if they want a monthly change of leader etc. that they must say so. Then you can put a list up,saying if for some reason they can't do a week to notify you.This worked well at one of the groups in the hall of a nursery school.Good luck.
Unread 09-17-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Group

You could be right!! :rotfl: