Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 01-21-2013, 01:30 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

curlycampbell is on a distinguished road
Mud kitchen

Inspired by www.muddyfaces.co.uk/mudkitchen.php I am keen to try and get our parents and staff interested in developing a mud kitchen to enhance our outside provision.

Has anyone else tried this and what kind of concerns/problems etc did you face?

I am hoping we can use recycled items donated by parents/friends etc for a rustic look!

I am wondering how settings cope with muddy kids/changing clothes etc and the free-flow of play indoors and out, especially when it's colder/wet etc.

Obviously children would need to aware of rules etc, what rules did you introduce?

Any help/advice etc would be great, thanks in advance!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

Hi
We have a mud kitchen (Here we call them 'Bush Kitchens')
We have the kitchen situated near our bush tucker garden so the children can freely use the plants.
We recycled a microwave, hob, tyres, planks and heaps of pots and pans etc
Changing children isnt really an issue (our children are 4/5) and we encourage them to hose themselves off before comming into the bathroom to change clothes.
Not sure what particular rules you feel the need to introduce in a mud kitchen? Surely the expectations of children in this environment would be the same as in any of the other areas within your setting?
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

curlycampbell is on a distinguished road

Thanks Air, your bush kitchen sounds fab, especially in the Aussie sunshine!

I want to encourage them to make all the mess they want,investigating and exploring etc I'm just thinking of the constant changing of mud covered kids & clothes, our kids are 2 - 4 and most need support changing so I need to make things as simple as possible, as they are constantly in and out.

Looked at some waterproof jackets and trousers on ebay which may be an idea, (incorporating a washing line into my plan now!) Sadly hosing the children off wouldn't be an option 95% of the time in the UK! Sounds great though.
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

OOppps had forgotten how much cooler the weather can be

I totally agree with you about giving the children the freedom to experience messy, creative and sensory experiences that are often difficult to provide indoors.
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Excellent ideas, I'm wondering if the changing issues will be as problematic as first thought, can you invite extra volunteers in to overcome any bumps the change in routine incurs? and then maybe look at velcro fastened clothing, lots of time & a door monitor position for help with dressing/undressing? the all in ones - on amazon can be a really expensive outlay but are great, especially for the children to manage themselves, is it possible the setting would be interested in starting up a 'buy back scheme' where out growns can be reused/sold on?

Sounds wonderful, let us know how it goes xx
the cost of ad blockers