Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 09-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

Oh Jo I do sympathise - I had one on Tuesday, his first full day with me and all he did was scream! It was awful

I know we're supposed to be promoting breastfeeding and supporting feeding mothers, but I said to her - sorry, but I can't comfort him if you put him on the boob every time he cries.... she said ok she'll try to stop doing it

Will see how next week goes! Hope it doesn't last for months though like yours!! I was shattered after 1 day....

Sarahx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Jo_B is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone

Its been a while now and he has started to settle, as long as i take him everywhere with me including the loo he's fine....
I dont think he will ever truely settle its in his nature but as long as he not crying then were all happy
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:00 PM
julie@plcc

Hi Jo

I have only recently joined this forum so only just read your post. I have the same challenge at the mo. I have had baby T for the last 8 wks, he is absolutely fine, happy and smiling while he is sat on my lap or attached to my hip but as soon as I put him down to play or in car seat etc he cries and he doesn't stop crying until I pick him up again. He will play for short periods on the floor if I am sat next to him.

I do leave him because it is not practical or fair on the other 2 under 3's I look after to be giving all of my attention to him. Also I have to prepare/clear up meals etc. His parents are lovely and did work with me by leaving him to entertain himself while at home one weekend and he was a lot better on the Monday, however they didn't carry on and he slipped back to crying for attention all the time!! I am giving it another couple of weeks and the parents have promised to help me out by not picking him up constantly and of he carries on crying I will have to consider giving him up for the sake of the other children I care for and my family's happiness. I don't know what else to do, I just think he is a miserable baby unless he is getting full-on attention, so I sympathise with you completely and I'm glad ther's someone else out there with the same problem.
Unread 02-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Jo_B is on a distinguished road

Hi Julie

Thanks it is good to know someone else is out there in the same position!
the good news is that he has settles really well, after having a break over xmas, he came back able to crawl!! and boy can he move, so much more content, he no longer crys, he just follows me around and distracts himself with the toys when he choose's.
I think its a combination of getting to know each other more and the frustrations have left him now that he is active.
Its hard in the begining but things do seem to even themselves out.

Enjoy this site it really is fantastic when you need to vent or seek advice, or just to make new friends in the same potition as you.

Jo
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:10 AM
cybertwin

glad that he is calmer now, just needed to be able to move around and explore his environement

i love this site also, it a fantastic recource
Unread 06-08-2008, 09:44 PM
julie@plcc

I looked after a baby who cried from 5 months old when he started with me until just before he left at nearly a year old! The only thing that calmed him down was picking him up, he stopped immediately. His mum said she just left him to cry at home but I found that if I done that he just got worse and worse. This baby was carried in a sling a lot until coming to me for full time care so needed the close body contact. I didn't contemplate using a sling as it is not practical when you have 2 other under 2's to look after and as baby gets heavier it is not good for your back. You have to either grin and bear it and hope it improves or think about whether a constantly crying baby is fair on the other children in your care.
Unread 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Hannahlg

we used to loo kafter a baby who cried for the first 4 weeks all day.its now like hes 2nd home when the child started he was 16months old and only ever been left with gandma and gandad before. he is now 3 and half years old

he was is a child who crys and moans alot. At home if hr dont get his own way or there say no he vrys and wines moans etc, he still dosant sleep all night.but at our hoses he is fine most of the time if he starts crying and moan coz he cant get own way he sits out.