Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD

Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People's Services and NVQ Level 4 Children's Care, Learning and Development. COPY and PASTE - search for plagiarism to make sure your work remains individual.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road

Hi Sazzle,

Welcome to the site. You've joined a very friendly and helpful family.

Tracey

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

THE FOX is on a distinguished road
Smile ccld questions - whats expected of you

Hi Sazzle,

Don't dishearten, i'm a manager and have been for many years and i still found the level 4 a huge step. Also i have never had a lecture or been offered one. She give me the knowledge questions and said 'off you go' basically. I had a nightmare as i am prone to waffle.

When i first started i did my assessors 'head in' asking her how much i should do - she still hasn't really told me - oh except for a few weeks ago when she told me i was doing too much - too little too late.

I would look at like this:

'Legal and requirement' questions need to be in depth - look at all areas and cover them - this will be excellent for cross referencing in other units.

'Importance of' questions can be a bit smaller but must be concise. If there are any regulations with this state them. Also these questions can be answered with an example with what you would do or have done.

'Theorists' must be in depth but you don't need to use everyone unless it says so and remember you are allowed to disagree with them, level 4 is about you yourself being a theorist!!

'Types of' questions requires you to go into all areas but for some you look outside the box e.g if you are doing 401 and come across conflict questions there are loads of great ideas from online American companies who have huge H.R resources for resolving conflict with mediation etc You could say how you would use these with team members or parents as you are not the manager so would not be dealing so much with staff supervision.

'How to' questions are exactly that - just write as much as you want, my answers for these tended to be smaller but again concise.

Always remember that where as in the level 3 you just answered the question in level 4 you have to look at why and how the answer was obtained e.g
402 K4S1120 LEGISLATION,GUIDELINES, POLICIES THAT FORM BASIS FOR ACTION TO SAFEGUARD CHILDREN

The answer basically: (for level 3)
Children's act 1989
Children's act 2004
Protection of children's act 1999
UN Conventions on the rights of the child
Data Protection Act 1998
working together to safeguard children 1999
Education Act 2002

For Level 4 you must attach how each works using the main points and if there have been changes, why?
E.G. The tragic death of 8yr old Victoria Climbie and then the following enquiry led to the 'Every child matters' paper that we all now know so well. Which then led to the amendments to the Children's Act 1989 now the children's act 2004, well the document kind of works together.

Does anyone else kind of agree with me about the structure of the questions.

Sorry to go on, i hope this helps in some way for you to clarify what is expected of you xxx
Unread 03-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

sazzle is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I am seeing my assessor again this week so am hoping she can re-motivate me!
Unread 03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

have to be very honest here. NVQ is not a training course it is a way of proving what you are already doing certainly at level 4. if you arent managing people budgets, settings etc then you will find it almost impossible to complete. who signed you up for it! it is designed for someone already doing it. you may have to discuss this with your early years training person. if it s a private college then remember their bottom line in money and they will often take anyone with the hope they will wing it not with your needs as the central thing. maybe a FD would be a better bet as that actually will achieve something for YOU in terms of your pd than the 4.
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

I am in agreement with tutu here. I work for a college and you would not have been accepted for the NVQ 4 unless working directly in a managment role - even room leaders do not usually qualify. you would however been advised to do, and probably accepted for a foundation degree, which would then take you towards your EYPs or even move into teaching if that takes your fancy!!!

xxx
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

Twinkle Toes is on a distinguished road

Hi I've just joined as well tonight.
Thought the first few questions were easy, but tonight I'm having second thoughts.
Unread 10-14-2009, 10:02 AM

sazzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
I work for a college and you would not have been accepted for the NVQ 4 unless working directly in a managment role - even room leaders do not usually qualify.
xxx
Well, I was wasn't I!
I am doing ok now, have a new assessor and she seems to suit me better and also visits more (The other one didnt come for 3 months, and had my folder that whole time, that didn't help!)

Somebody said something about it being impossible to know some of the stuff required without being a manager... I found it just limited my options with the extra units.
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:07 PM

chickencurry is on a distinguished road

Sorry but I personally find it a bit of a joke that people without the relevant experience are being accepted for the NVQ 4 as it makes a bit of a mockery of the whole qualification. You should already be at the level required to do the course in the first place!
There is someone on my course that has never had any experience of managing a team or anything and boy is she struggling! Its not fair on her either really x
Unread 10-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

dkredbaron is on a distinguished road

Total Agree Nursery Nurses should not be doing a level 4 how do you show that your doing appraisals and staff meetings? i had to have my assessor watch me take a staff meeting.How does your assessor get round that ?why would you want to do a management course if you are not the manager of the setting?sorry but that is how i feel, when you get this level 4 people will expect you to be able to do a managers role.
Unread 10-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

The fact is sazzle was accepted onto the NVQ4.

Most things can be evidenced through partnership and it isn't our place to judge the course providers decision by holding the student responsible.

Please try to help out where you feel you can.

xx
the cost of ad blockers