Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 07-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road
Mayonnaise Jar And Coffee

A very good friend emailed this to me today...it is very thought provoking and I wanted to share it with you all

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar... and the coffee...

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls.

He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full.

They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.:rotfl:

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognise that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things. Your family, your children, your faith, your health, your friends, and your favourite passions.

Things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter.

Your job, your house, and your car. The sand is everything else. The small stuff.

If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.:heart:

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.:couple:

Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house. Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.":angel:

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented.:idea:

The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."

Please share this with someone nice.

I just did.

Air
x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-30-2007, 05:48 PM

cabin is on a distinguished road

For some reason that's very comforting to read... thank's for sharing -- I'm just coming to the anniversary of the start of a 'c***' year. and am just finding 'closure' (as the americans say!), -- reading that has made me feel so good about my life now.
thank you
xxx
Unread 07-31-2007, 10:03 AM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road

Doesn't it put everything into perspective?

Thanks Air.
Unread 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Patsy

going up on the bar notice board tonight.
Unread 08-01-2007, 10:04 AM

Air is on a distinguished road

Patsy....good to know it will inspire your punters!!
I am so pleased everyone found it a valuable read...it makes so much sense..
Air
x
Unread 08-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

bettyboo is on a distinguished road

Brillant like Cabin I too have had a c... year and after reading this it has made me think and how very poignant it is. I will add that I agree wholeheartedly with looking after the golf balls as my year has shown. Working in childcare especially as a manager or leader work often takes priority always remember the golf balls come first and make time too for peebles after. I nearly lost my golf balls so know with experience how important they are.
thank you Air
BB
Unread 09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
strawberrykisses

aww thats nice n sooo true