Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 06-04-2016, 06:57 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

annestoneman is on a distinguished road
Default Assignment 400 - Theories

I have some books and presentations from my assessor its just my mindset isnt right so would like a push from you lovely lot.

Right, so I have already outlined 2 theorists from cognitive, humanist, social learning, constructivist and behaviourist theories I now just need to explain how they have informed current practice in relation to
  • child behaviour
  • enabling environments
  • practitioner interaction

would i be right in going along the lines of say cognitive theory encourages us to create opportunities for children to work together in order to solve problems and ensuring they have space in which to play and learn together.
As practitioners we plan activities based on the child's next steps therefore scaffolding their learning. We also extend their learning through language by adding to vocabulary the child has used for example a child says 'look a bus' we would then say 'yes look, a big bus' we are then agreeing we have seen and are interested and extended the childs vocabulary.

Would you say that covers all three points? behaviour is them working together and problem solving .... enabling environment is planning based on next steps and practitioner interaction extending vocab .... or am i waaay off?

Thank you

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-08-2016, 02:22 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

not at all that is barely a description certainly not an explanation?? who ware you talking about? what was their theory? how has it been shaped our practice? what do we do that has been influenced by the theory?
Unread 06-08-2016, 07:59 PM

annestoneman is on a distinguished road

lol that wasn't my answer just some of the stuff i was going to include. Thank you for the input, have already done it now.
Unread 08-07-2016, 05:08 PM

colemanxa is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am currently doing this assignment and struggling to find a second theorist for social learning. May I ask who you used?
Unread 08-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanxa View Post
Hi,

I am currently doing this assignment and struggling to find a second theorist for social learning. May I ask who you used?
Hi, social learning theory emphasises that young children learn about social behaviour by:

watching other people
imitating other people

Albert Bandura is one theorist you can research.

Best wishes
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 11-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

haynei58 is on a distinguished road

I am struggling to find a Humanist Theorist that isn't Maslow or Rogers. Does anybody have any suggestions please?
Unread 11-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, a warm welcome to the site. This is a quote from page 57 of Learning Theories Simplified by Bob Bates

Humanism is based on the beleif that the individual is self-determining, free to make their own choices. It is a person-centred activity in which the individual plays a part in deciding whar role they should play in determining what they should be allwed to learn.

The basic premise of humanism is that people have a natural potential for learning and that significant learning takes place when the individual can see that the subject matter is relevant to them. In this situation, the teacher acts as a facilitator, encouraging learning rather than identifyiung specific methods or techniques of instruction.

Although catalysits for the humanist movement, the Montessori and Summerhioll schools, were launched at the beginning of the twentieth century, the theory wasn't developed until the early 1940s. It was populised throughout 1960s and 1970s as a result of a group of psychologists questioning the virtue of the behaviourist approach (which they felt portrayed a negative view of the person's capacity for self-determination) and cognitivist approach (which they argued was too obsessed with meaning and undersatanding).

As the movement grew to empower more people in making decisions about issues that affect their lives, so the emphasis switched from teacher-centred to learner-cewntred-learning. Supporters of the humanist approach argue that students appreciate not being evaluated or judged and relish the opportunity for their thoughts to be understood. Critics claim that not everyone seeks empowerment or feels comfortable when empoewered, arguing that some people clearly want to be instructed in what to do.

A. S. Neill

Maria Montessori

Abraham Maslow

Carl Rogers

Malcolm Knowles

Jack Mezirow (search inside the book for 'Jack' & click to page 70)

https://humanism.org.uk/

Hope this helps, best wishes
the cost of ad blockers