Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 11-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

hazel lol is on a distinguished road
Default Music Licence

Hi

As we all know, music is a valuable resource to use with children. What is unclear to me is whether you need a music licence to play CD's.

I am refering to CD's which have legitimately been bought for the setting, or CD's prepared by staff of legit music they have bought.

Is there a difference in playing music for educational purposes?

Does having a CD on when children arrive constitute education or recreation?

I've had a quick peep at Copyright, Designs and Patents Act but it's huge and can't find a shortcut to what I'm looking for.

I would love to hear your thoughts, experiences and about your licences.

Thanks.
H x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

sarahcentral is on a distinguished road

We have to have a PRS licence for cd's and DVD's as part of our hire agreement for our room.

http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx

As far as I know anyone playing music apart from in their own home etc must have a licence.

HTH
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, it is a murky one. I tried to find a concrete answer to this and ended up contacting Culture.gov.uk to get a little clarity on requirements for a specific musical activity.

The reply

Quote:
Thank you for your email of 26 November regarding your query on licensable activity. I have been asked to respond.

I will first point out that the Licensing Act 2003 devolved responsibility for the administration and enforcement of the licensing regime to individual licensing authorities based at city, district or borough councils. I would therefore advise you to contact your local licensing officer to discuss your particular circumstances in the first instance.

In general terms however, playing pre-recorded music in a pre-school setting to welcome the children into the setting would not be considered a licensable activity.

I hope this information is helpful.

Yours sincerely

--
Public Engagement and Recognition Unit
It will depend on your premises, if it provides lincensable activities for the public it's possible the cover you require may already be in place.

The one seemingly consistent understanding is that any event that involves an 'open door to the public or has a pay to enter/profit making aim - excluding registered charities will need a license.

Exemptions from needing a licence

TENs temporary event notices

Music as a learning resource could possibly be seen as incidental, just a part of what a setting is trying to achive in its provision of rhythm, tempo, involvement and movement.

I would think any staff or self compiled CD made from other cd sources - ripped, burnt or copied would be an infrigement of rights and probably best avoided.

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

little red hen (BA) is on a distinguished road

I have had a letter today from a company called MPLC telling me that if we show films DVD's etc we need a licence.....here is my reply
Dear Sir 23 January 2014

Re attached letter

Please note we do not require a licence because we do not, never have nor intend to show films, DVD’s or any other such materials to our pre-schoolers because we are too busy playing with toys and making stuff.

As we occupy a public hall which is already licensed by the Performance Rights Society for music etc. by the local authority we do not require that either.

Most of our children spend a lot of time at home surrounded by what we call “the electronic cradle” and thus we do not need to offer this kind of activity to them but instead encourage them to go out in the fresh air and dig in the mud which is far more healthy for young minds than sitting in front of a screen.

We should therefore be grateful if you would kindly remove us from your data base.

Yours faithfully