Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 05-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

womble is on a distinguished road
Default Importance of supporting participation and equality of access

Hi all, I have to describe the importance of supporting the rights of all children to participation and equality of access.
I have no idea where to start and just seem to be rambling on in a random manner. Can someone give me a good mental shake to help get this in some kind of order

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Mummy is on a distinguished road

Hi I don't know if this is of any help to you now, but I wrote this...
1.2 It is important to support participation and equality of access so that all children and young people have the same opportunities offered to them regardless of their personal background. Within a school equality, diversity and inclusion are very important. All pupils have the right to a broad and balanced curriculum and equality to access ensures these rights are met by giving all children the right access to the curriculum regardless of their background, race, culture, gender, additional need or disability. It is important that they are supported and have the right to participate and be treated equal so that they can work and achieve to the best of their ability.
Inclusion "is the process of identifying, understanding and breaking down barriers to participation and belonging" (Sue Griffin 2008, p17) It is about ensuring all children and young people have access to equal learning opportunities whatever their disadvantages and ensuring that relevant support systems are in place and available to those who need it. Such as providing sign materials in braille, suitable access in and around school for children who require wheelchairs / walking aids etc.
For example; In the year group I am currently working within, a child requires the use of a wheelchair, during gardening activities rather than excluding the child, staff ensure there is suitable wheelchair access down to the gardens along with providing an adapted area suitable for the child to be able to participate fully in the activities offered with her peers. There are also times within the classroom during certain activities where provisions are made in order for the child to participate, the use of a table top aid for example ensures the child can do everyday classroom activities without having to be excluded.
Participation involves everyone within the school, including parents. This involves the inclusion of children, who all have the right to express their views and for these to be respected by adults when making decisions on matters that affect them. Participation is involving the children with the planning, delivery and evaluation of the curriculum on a daily basis, it includes asking children what they think, what works or what they think could be improved. It is about listening and respected children's views and opinions. Effective participation gives children and young people the opportunity to make a positive contribution to their learning, build relationships and to develop skills and confidence they will need for the future.
Unread 05-31-2014, 01:02 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

womble is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much it's just what I needed. I promise I'll write it in my own words and now I know what the question means add my own examples. Thanks again H