Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

cutiepie2010 is on a distinguished road
Default My assessor/tutor won't come out to observe me again

My assessor is also my tutor and she as done 2 observations on me in placement and got quite a bit on the first one the 2nd visit was just on role play as we ran out of time to go outside.

She told me to do reflective accounts for the rest of the pcs and now my folder as just come back from iv and they have said I have quite a few reflective accounts and would like some more diverse evidence.

I have asked her to see if she could come out and observe me again doing some of the pcs I have covered by reflective accounts so they know I am able to do this and am compentent in doing so.

But she as told me I don't need another assessment so now I am panicing that this won't be enough evidence in my folder to ensure I pass. I don't really want to rock the boat as she is my tutor aswell. But still don't know how I am going to get more evidence for the pcs and still got 3 units left about 30 odd knowledge q's to get completed by beg July. I just don't know how I am going to do it so does anyone have any ideas please?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-28-2011, 07:50 AM

twinthing is on a distinguished road

i had a simular situation but much worse! I ended up asking for a new assessor ( mine was my tutor as well but I only had monthly tutorials) I contacted the I.V and asked her to find me another assessor who came to see me and we added professional discussions to the evidence as well as some witness testaments as far as I can remember. Hope you get it sorted out soon x My class was run by adult education, I was unhappy with the course quite early on but the assessor visits tiped me over the edge, my tutor was 1 hour late, sat and watched me do snack....went on about a unit that I wasnt even doing.....made personal and in my opinion unprofessional comments about some of the children and answered her phone twice........left after 40 mins. When her written work appeared at my next tutorial, she had my name wrong, the setting name wrong and hardly any pc's done at all! I was livid!!!! I phoned the IV that day and asked if i could submit my work as I had recieved no feedback at all from the tutor , I handed it in and the Iv agreed with me that I needed to have another assessor! I completed most of the rest of the work on my own over a 3 week period and only went to the last tutorial to get it signed off! I was not a happy camper let me tell you! luckily the IV and new assessor was very supportive! and I passed this time last year. good luck x
Unread 04-28-2011, 08:07 AM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

you need to approach the college directly and complain but if it is a privtae provider you will have little chance of an improvement. there reason for existence is profit and visiting leaners is expensive. copy the IV report and contact the manager asap. the iv is THEIR manager is terms of quality so use the report as leverage
Unread 04-28-2011, 11:36 AM

cutiepie2010 is on a distinguished road

Thank you both, My course is run by adult education. Eveytime I email my tutor she never gets back to me. We are on easter break at the min and as soon as I go back I am going to ask her again for another assessment if she declines this time I will go to the iv and see what they say.

I don't have a copy of the iv report so just going by what my tutor had told me what they said if I never asked I would never of known. I am scared of going to the iv as I am scared the tutor will be off with me and I ahve a class every week. But I won't to pass this and have done a load of hard work. I must admit some of the pcs she as told me to do reflective accounts on the chances of her seeing me do them is slim. But I need more ways to back up my reflective accounts. My class teacher in placement as signed all my reflective accounts and read through them after I did them to say that I had done the activities I was writing about in a reflective account.

I think a few of us are un happy about the way she is teaching us and offereing us assessments etc. But I also think we are to scared to say anything.
Unread 05-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

tinajpatterson is on a distinguished road

tyr to get some witness testomonies and work products done will trying to sort out this mess as they come under other then reflective accounts hope this helps try getting your setting manager involved they might be more useful to get things moving.
Unread 05-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Possum is on a distinguished road

Hi Cutiepie,
Speaking as an Assessor I can only say that I am horrified at the way you are being treated (and some of the other poster's comments on here too) YOU decide when you are ready for an observation/assessment visit if they are as sporadic as this. Sometimes I plan these on a rolling programme, but more often I prefer a candidate to tell me that they would like a visit.
There are other ways you can provide evidence though, can the class teacher write up a witness testimony, or, if you copy a unit page out, she could annotate what you did, or discussed. Are there any other adults in the setting who would be willing to do a short witness testimony for you?
You don't say which areas you are particularly 'hung up' on, but I have seen some lovely leaflets for parents made by a student who was having problems referencing some of her knowledge.
You need to bring this up with your Tutor, ask her what are her plans to ensure that your work passes the IV. Has she some questions she could ask you, for example.
When is your planned finish date?
Do you have contact details for your IV?
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

besss is on a distinguished road

I have got trouble with my assessor as well. Can anyone tell me what it is that we need to be doing in the setting for the assessor to observe. Do I need to work there or can I be a volunteer.