Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 07-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Jadey is on a distinguished road
Nursery job & level 3??

Hi, just needed a bit of advice..
My mum wants a job in a nursery but has no qualifications. Shes 43 and is unemployed (due to my younger brother having autism and having to be his full time carer). I wondered if anyone could tell me the best route for her to take as she wants to do either an NVQ or CACHE. Would she be able to get funding for the course and also could she go straight into a level 3?? And also needed to know if there are any set requirements of how many hours she needs to work for the course as it may have to be part time.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

charlotte1001 is on a distinguished road

hiya
an Nvq would involve working at a nursery and being on a training wage allowance whilst studing for your qualification at the workplace and in your spare time- min 18 hours,you can also volunteer somewhere but still a min of 18hours are requirred. as far as im aware you have to pay for this course if your over the age of 25. I think shed have to do the level 2 first.
The cache course is a college based course, i think its a part time course but you must attend 2 full days a week at a placement that they allocate you with. Again i think you have to do the level 2 first and this course has no funding for over 25's. the good thing about cache is by doing it at college you get time to do your work in lessons rather than trying to do it in your spare time.
Most people dont realise you dont have to have a qualification to work in a nursery although most prefer trained staff or training staff (the legal requirement is at least half of all staff members must be qualified)
best of luck to your mum
hope this helps
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Kathie is on a distinguished road

One of my staff is over 25 and is doing her training with us she was taken on as a paid member of staff. We got funding from our local children and family services (local council) for most of her fee paid you should speak to your early years advisor when they are next in or give them a call hope this helps xx
Unread 07-15-2011, 05:26 PM

Dingledel is on a distinguished road

My daughter has Down Syndrome and a few years back I was approached by a parent of another child with DS about a position becoming available to be a support worker in a Day Nursery. Thought I'd apply, my daughter was at school, hours suited...etc but really didn't think I had much of a chance considering I had no "professional" childcare experience.

I got the job and had the opportunity to do an NVQ2 whilst I supported the child. It took a few months to organise but once I had completed initial test, interview forms and so on, it was suggested that I went straight onto a Level 3.

I was in my early 40's at the time.

HTHs.
Unread 07-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Claire36 is on a distinguished road
Hi when my youngest daughter started school full time I decided that it was time to retrain.

I started with the NVQ level 2 Children Care, Learning & Develop and worked in a day nursery as a volunteer for two days a week 9 to 3 (to fit in with school runs). It took around 6 months to complete and I got the whole course funded by train to gain.

Last year I became employed by the nursery and enrolled on the new CACHE level 3 diploma Children & Young People's Workforce, which I completed last month. Again I secured funded for the complete course fees via the family services.

I found it very useful doing the level 2 first, especially since I'd been away from education for 20 years!!! I was also able to use some of my previous learning as evidence.

If you do the level 2 CACHE certificate CYPW I believe the units achieved already mean that you don't have to redo them in level 3 - as this is a QFC not NVQ.

Good luck in your new venture.
Unread 08-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Jadey is on a distinguished road

Thankyou everyone! That really helps xx
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Bonnieweelass is on a distinguished road

At 42, I work only minimum of 9 hours and I am studying for my Level 3 NVQ via the local college, I do not have my Level 2. This consists of 4 evening workshops and workbooks, your assessor visiting you at your setting and taking observations, and course runs for 9 months. I do have O levels in English, Maths and a Science, children and an abundance of life skills, degree educated and well travelled. I got funding off the local council for £550 and paid the other £350 myself. Depending on her circumstances, she may get full funding. Get your mum to go for Level 3, as she will have life skills, etc, and by 2015 the minimum qualification will be a Level 3. Good luck.