Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 05-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Fire drill practices ?

How often do you stage fire drill practices?

We used to do seperate half termly drill with just our Playgroup and then full drills with our affiliated Primary !

I know it was easier on stress levels when we knew when the whistle was about to blow LOL !!:muted: Just proves the benefit of having to do another one as well
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-23-2006, 07:20 PM
cybertwin

we do ours every half term for a whole week - so by the end the children know what to do, also we catch everychild then as some only do a few days

we have a bell
Unread 06-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Narnia is on a distinguished road

once every month, but change the days so we get all the children.I DO have a whistle, but prefer to just quietly call the children to stop what they're doing and line up quickly and quietly by the front door.we can usually get them out in about 1 ,minute
Unread 06-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chloe is on a distinguished road
Default Fire Drill

I used to do it on every day of each term so all children got used to it.No not every day but you know what I mean!
This was done by different members of staff,different exits,timed and signed by member of staff.A :rotfl: notice on the board telling parents what to do if they were in the hall.
Sometimes did the fire practice when parents were collecting! You got to know which parents read the notice board!!
Unread 07-04-2006, 08:59 PM

Air is on a distinguished road

Chloe what a brill idea!
to do it when Parents collect etc...never thoght of doing it then...(done it at various times throughout the session obviously!)
will def to this next term...
Unread 07-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Muggy

Default Every half term

Same here - every half term, making sure we do it a few times in order to catch all children. Some staff also have specific roles. E.g. getting register, checking round corners for children hiding etc, standing at door.
Unread 07-20-2006, 07:13 PM

Chloe is on a distinguished road

We did one at the group the other day and could not believe it when the manager told the children there was going to be a practise!! They go out the same way every time and it was not timed although being a cheeky madam said it took 4 minutes!(not quick enough) too much time spend getting children in to line!
Unread 08-19-2006, 03:13 PM
LisaM

I used to do mine every week but sometimes that slips to every month, probably easier for me as I work at home.
Unread 09-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Narnia is on a distinguished road

I did hear once, a group which had a sign up saying they held regular fire drills, but welcomed any parent calling one whenever they felt like it, to see how it worked and to keep the staff on their toes!
Unread 09-22-2006, 03:51 PM
sarjanperk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertwin View Post
we do ours every half term for a whole week - so by the end the children know what to do, also we catch everychild then as some only do a few days

we have a bell
we do the same,

sez:rotfl: